Getting new Accentra 52i off the truck and into the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superglyde

Sep 19, 2013
Hey body of knowledge,
Picking up my neew 52i tomorrow from supplier. How hard is it to get it off my pickup? will my ramps work to just slide it down and into my garage?
Do I open up the box and take everything apart to minimize weight so two of us can move it into the den?
I moved a napoleaon insert woodstove out ok (without bricks and door), and I can't imagine the pellet stove to be any worse to move.
Thanks much!
Carl

PS, how long you think it takes to install in the fireplace? six pack, 12 pack, case?

They are pretty damn heavy inserts (pushing 300lbs). You can unlatch and roll the insert out of the frame as it'll be bolted to the shipping pallet then take the front door off to help save weight. I would advise having two friends to help you carry it into the house.

Chimney lining is the hardest part I think. Once that's done it's just a matter of getting the frame and OAK hooked up to the piping. From there it's all plug and play... I took my time and it took about a day to do it. Follow the instructions exactly and you'll be fine.

Thanks CBL. Why was the chimney lining so hard? I'm curious. I have the 4 inch liner, I only needed 15 feet, its very lightweight and clear shot down the stack. I also have the 8' OAK 3'" pipe and it too is light. Is it hard to push them into the docks on the frame?
Do I also need a techie with his meter to adjust the draft thingie I hear about on here?

I made a homemade manometer, vertical style and used a digital caliper to measure the difference of the 2 columns. My electric supply was 125.9 volts, Harman supposedly adjusts the draft at exactly 120.0 volts-I did have to decrease my draft to fall mid-range in their specs. I also made a homemade service rail kit for about $25 using just 1-1/4" x 4' flat stock and some left over 2x4's. Some day I'll get to posting pic's. FYI-mine was not painted to my liking-several bare metal areas, so i re-painted the entire stove and my OAK did not line up correctly. I had to re-bend the "weldment" ear for a proper fir to the hopper. And yes, dismantle as much as possible-very easy and 2 people are needed to carry, move it around etc.

Relatively speaking its probably the hardest part of the total job. it's easier if you have no issues with heights on a ladder carrying up a coiled up chimney liner. A 15' straight shot should be a kick though. Definitely a two guy job, one to work the top while somebody pulls from the bottom. I ended up renting a bucket lift to have my buddy work the top end safely, you can never be too safe. Make sure the liner can clear the fireplace damper, my 4" double wall barely squeezed though.

It's a good idea to get the draft checked after installation. You can buy a meter on eBay for 40-50 bucks or have your dealer do it.

Getting the stove in and out of the frame is very easy.

Last edited:
I made a homemade manometer, vertical style and used a digital caliper to measure the difference of the 2 columns. My electric supply was 125.9 volts, Harman supposedly adjusts the draft at exactly 120.0 volts-I did have to decrease my draft to fall mid-range in their specs. I also made a homemade service rail kit for about $25 using just 1-1/4" x 4' flat stock and some left over 2x4's. Some day I'll get to posting pic's. FYI-mine was not painted to my liking-several bare metal areas, so i re-painted the entire stove and my OAK did not line up correctly. I had to re-bend the "weldment" ear for a proper fir to the hopper. And yes, dismantle as much as possible-very easy and 2 people are needed to carry, move it around etc.
Thanks Rock, I'd love to see that rail you made. Regarding the meter, you think I can run the stove a day or two without adjusting the draft? you know..when I get it in, i'll be "curious" to see how it looks/work:)

Yes you can run it without adjusting the draft control according to Harman-it's an efficiency issue on the low draft mode, not a safety issue. The instructions make it clearer than I can. If I have some time in the am, I'll try to get those pic's up. We found carrying the unit was more awkward/unbalanced than it was heavy- if that helps.

You made the right choice with the 52i. I up graded this September to the Accentra Insert and couldn't be happier. This stove throws some serious heat. Like the different ways of running the stove and the ease of cleaning it, You are going to want a cart to put the stove on and roll it in its friggen heavy, you will let out a few curse words.Mount the frame in and then roll it in keep an eye on the wires when you go to latch it in. Congrats on your new stove.

Yay,picked it up, got it off the truck rolling it like an Egyptian on broom handles on a ramp. Box opened parts removed. Stove in the garage, frame in the house. Had to disconnect wires to get it out of the frame. Will finish it up tomorrow. Is it a track to center and align the frame properly in the fireplace?

Is it a track to center and align the frame properly in the fireplace?

That and so you can slide it out for maintaining and cleaning easily.

I had the old one and loved it. Cant wait to see how the new ones stack up.

Status
Not open for further replies.