Getting ready for winter..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
Dropped the tarps on the wood shelter today.. Longest I have kept them rolled up.. I also attached a pic of the Super Snaps I use to repair my tarps, these things really do work great and have withstood Noreaster winds on several occasions!

Ray

Attachments

• 2011 11 13 001 (Medium).jpg
    2011 11 13 001 (Medium).jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 520
  • 2011 11 13 002 (Medium).jpg
    2011 11 13 002 (Medium).jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 500
  • 2011 11 13 003 (Medium).jpg
    2011 11 13 003 (Medium).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 499
I like those super snaps... where did you get them? BTW, why cover today, no real rain in sight until Tues night/Wed AM.

stejus said:
I like those super snaps... where did you get them? BTW, why cover today, no real rain in sight until Tues night/Wed AM.

Got them at Harbor Freight in Fall River a couple years ago and they came in a 15 pack.. I covered because I do not want to take chance of the wood getting wet now as it is good and dry plus it is close to dark or dark when I get home from work.. Air still does blow through the shelter it just keeps the rain and snow off the wood. I would think you could order them online as well.. They are reusable and I have yet to have one come off no matter how windy it gets..

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=super+snap

Ray

You must not get much wind for that setup to work. I tried those holders a few years ago and they didn't last more than an hour into a wind storm. Either tore the tarp, came apart, or the end broke off. Good luck though.

NATE379 said:
You must not get much wind for that setup to work. I tried those holders a few years ago and they didn't last more than an hour into a wind storm. Either tore the tarp, came apart, or the end broke off. Good luck though.

Been using them for a couple years and been through several Noreasters and they survived so yes they do work and yes I get lots of wind and I snapped many bungi cords and found they hold up much better if the bungi's are doubled up..

Ray

Yeah I think not much survives with the nasty winds we get up here is all. 70-100 mph gusts at times.

NATE379 said:
Yeah I think not much survives with the nasty winds we get up here is all. 70-100 mph gusts at times.

A Noreaster is basically a hurricane with snow instead of rain.. Not a fun thing with lots of heavy wet snow in my area.. Pretty much sucks..

Ray

raybonz said:
Dropped the tarps on the wood shelter today.. Longest I have kept them rolled up.. I also attached a pic of the Super Snaps I use to repair my tarps, these things really do work great and have withstood Noreaster winds on several occasions!

Ray

Looks good Ray, whats the weather outlook in your area for the next two weeks?

zap

zapny said:
raybonz said:

Ray

zap

Thanx Zap! The weather here has been pretty warm in fact about as warm a November that I can remember.. As you know that can change in a hurry so I decided to get the tarp down before it rains again.. Last rain we got had no wind so no problem but we tend to get wind driven rain here.. The tarps work well and lets the air circulate inside the shelter.. How's the weather there Zap?

Ray

Looks good Ray, and nice work man. Way to keep that wood dry. Had any good fires lately? Got any pics of one of them? Have a good one man.

Gasifier said:
Looks good Ray, and nice work man. Way to keep that wood dry. Had any good fires lately? Got any pics of one of them? Have a good one man.

Thanx Gasman! I've had a few fires and posted pics of them here somewhere a ways back plus a video on You Tube.. I will post some new ones once the burn season gets roliing.. The T-5 gibes some nice secondaries and is easy to run.. So far I am happy with it..

Ray

raybonz said:
zapny said:
raybonz said:

Ray

zap

Thanx Zap! The weather here has been pretty warm in fact about as warm a November that I can remember.. As you know that can change in a hurry so I decided to get the tarp down before it rains again.. Last rain we got had no wind so no problem but we tend to get wind driven rain here.. The tarps work well and lets the air circulate inside the shelter.. How's the weather there Zap?

Ray

It's been great, looking for another 3-4 cord before I get snowed out of the woods. Last year I worked up until the beginning of February, this year I wOOd like to be done by the end of December.

I'm looking for that 20 cord mark, seems I get to 16-17 but never twenty so the milling will hold off until I reach that.

zap

WOW! Holy sh!t! Nice stove man. I just googled it and checked out the P.E. site on it. Very nice. Is that a new model? I have a Super 27 and like, but moved to a boiler. The 27 is now back-up. I may have to enclose the porch sooner or later though. That would give me a place for the Super 27 to run, like it should be doing! Have a good one man.

zapny said:
raybonz said:
zapny said:
raybonz said:

Ray

zap

Ray

It's been great, looking for another 3-4 cord before I get snowed out of the woods. Last year I worked up until the beginning of February, this year I wOOd like to be done by the end of December.

I'm looking for that 20 cord mark, seems I get to 16-17 but never twenty so the milling will hold off until I reach that.

zap
That's a boatload of wood! I will never see that much wood here.. My wife thinks I'm nuts because I have 6-7 cords now.. If I had access to wood like you do I'd be doing the same as you.. Keep up the good work!

Ray

Gasifier said:
WOW! Holy sh!t! Nice stove man. I just googled it and checked out the P.E. site on it. Very nice. Is that a new model. I have a Super 27 and like, but moved to a boiler. The 27 is now back-up. I may have to enclose the porch sooner or later though. That would give me a place for the Super 27 to run, like it should be doing! Have a good one man.

Thanx! The T-5 has been around for a while but it's new to me.. Your Super 27 has the same firebox and is also a nice stove.. I looked at them when I bought mine and thought they were real nice looking.. PE does a T-5 insert now and that is new this year.. Very nice looking insert too! Gas I added a blower to my stove and it works great, moves lots of air and is pretty quiet..

Ray

Nice man. I like that swing out cook top too. Very cool. Nothing like a fire in the stove. (Or boiler.) :cheese:

Gasifier said:
Nice man. I like that swing out cook top too. Very cool. Nothing like a fire in the stove. (Or boiler.) :cheese:

Do you run the boiler year round and how much wood does it burn? I keep the oil furnace on for the tankless..

Ray

I just got it on-line October first. I am hoping to run it from October 1st through the end of May each year. Maybe even more. It is sweet to heat all our hot water with the boiler through an in-direct hot water heater. No more oil! :coolsmile: (Unless we go away for a day or two, then that will kick on.) Later man.

Gasifier said:
I just got it on-line October first. I am hoping to run it from October 1st through the end of May each year. Maybe even more. It is sweet to heat all our hot water with the boiler through an in-direct hot water heater. No more oil! :coolsmile: (Unless we go away for a day or two, then that will kick on.) Later man.

Sounds good keep us posted on how it works for you and how about some pics of your set up?

Ray

raybonz said:
Gasifier said:

Sounds good keep us posted on how it works for you and how about some pics of your set up?

Ray

Oh no, I couldn't. Oh, alright. If I have to. And here is a couple of links if you want to see some of the process of getting it into the house. A nice "little" job. ;-)

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81764/
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81765/
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81767/

Attachments

• DSCF1677.jpg
    DSCF1677.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCF1675.jpg
    DSCF1675.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCF1680.jpg
    DSCF1680.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCF1724 (480x360).jpg
    DSCF1724 (480x360).jpg
    29 KB · Views: 186
Yup I know all about it... I lived in northern Maine for almost 20 years before moving to Alaska.

raybonz said:
NATE379 said:

A Noreaster is basically a hurricane with snow instead of rain.. Not a fun thing with lots of heavy wet snow in my area.. Pretty much sucks..

Ray

Looks good Ray and I'm glad to hear it is full. I'd still leave the tarps up though.

Backwoods Savage said:
Looks good Ray and I'm glad to hear it is full. I'd still leave the tarps up though.

Thanx Dennis! Yes the weather is OK now but rain will be here wednesday and then cold.. The tarps let air in and keep rain out and I do not want my dry wood to get wet now as the recovery may take too long.. Lots of air can flow through my shelter with the tarps down..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.