Getting ready to burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Put the wood rack on the porch today and filled it. Well, it is almost full. Half of it is filled with lumber cut-offs. The picture was taken while I was sitting in a chair right next to the wood stove. So you can see we don't have to go far when the stove needs wood.

Wood rack-2.JPG

Attachments

• Wood rack-1.JPG
    Wood rack-1.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 218
Looks good Dennis. I admire how you seem to always stay ahead of the game.

Hey Andy, thank you. How is that big wood pile of yours lasting?

Great job Dennis, should have some cold weather next week.

Looks like your all set Sav, with the cold weather coming in this weekend our first shoulder season wood comes in tomorrow night.

zap

After last winter I still have most of it. The Oak is two years old and I'm still not sure I want to burn it yet. I have a couple cord of Hickory did up last year, I'm wondering if that will be ready. If not, I still have a bunch of Ash and some shoulder season wood along with some Silver I just did up this weekend. I know you always always preach to season the wood good but for the Silver I'll burn it almost right away with out much trouble. I like Silver wet better than dry. I figure if the Oak and Hickory still needs another year, I have 22 dead Ash stilling less than 1/2 a mile from me and I cut use those right quick. They've been dead for several years now and they burn great right away. After this winter I think I'll still have a good two years ahead.

Been cold and rainy all day here. When I got home, my wife wanted a fire (the first) I said I am going to make it hot in here.....she said, yes, that is what I want. ;)

Nice job. We've had a few early morning fires so far. Dipped in the 30s a few times, so I woke up early and took the edge off of the cold mornings. Have to keep my wife from opening the windows at night to cool the house. She loves her fires.

Thinking of putting together a small wood rack in the basement for 2 days worth of in door storage. Looks like cold weather starting Thursday for us!

A front row seat to the wood rack...I like it. I have to go by my empty wood rack on the way into the house every day...kinda bumming me out that its empty.
Dont want to bring it up too early thou...

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Way to go Dennis. Looks like you're ready ;')

Sitting by the wood stove taking pictures.
Must have a nice fire going.
or are you must admiring the stacks of wood ?

Seems like a lot of us are getting ready for the colder weather! What kind of wood do you burn in the shoulder season Dennis?

Looks good. Is it OK to burn the wood with paint on it? I didn't think so but if you do....I might consider it! :)

Nice job, BwSav! You're giving me some ideas for the future, happy burning.

fv

forecast is for rain and flurries today.....nice next week...might have to do a couple small morning fires this weekend....its nice to be that close to the stove isn't it

Lookin good as always Dennis' and I bet that wood is older than my kids!

Reminds me I need to get around to sweeping the flue one of these days....

Looks good man. It has not cooled off enough down here to even start cutting wood yet. Maybe we will catch some good weather this month. I am looking forward to get to burn some wood.

Looks good Dennis! That's a great feeling, being that close to your wood stash! Even when it's snowin' and blowin', you're only an arms reach away from a reload!!

Getting ready to burn Dennis, I had mine up and runing probally 5-6 times already. I must be cold blooded. This weekend in the low 30's and heavy frost.

After last winter I still have most of it. The Oak is two years old and I'm still not sure I want to burn it yet. I have a couple cord of Hickory did up last year, I'm wondering if that will be ready. If not, I still have a bunch of Ash and some shoulder season wood along with some Silver I just did up this weekend. I know you always always preach to season the wood good but for the Silver I'll burn it almost right away with out much trouble. I like Silver wet better than dry. I figure if the Oak and Hickory still needs another year, I have 22 dead Ash stilling less than 1/2 a mile from me and I cut use those right quick. They've been dead for several years now and they burn great right away. After this winter I think I'll still have a good two years ahead.

Andy, you have to get a different avatar! I get hungry looking at it.

Way to go Dennis. Looks like you're ready ;')

Sitting by the wood stove taking pictures.
Must have a nice fire going.
or are you must admiring the stacks of wood ?

Just resting Dave. Just resting.

Seems like a lot of us are getting ready for the colder weather! What kind of wood do you burn in the shoulder season Dennis?

Just like during mid winter usually except we do usually have a fair supply of soft maple. You probably noticed a bunch of lumber cut-offs in half of the wood rack. Those get burned along with what is in the other half of the rack; a mix of soft maple and ash.

Looks good. Is it OK to burn the wood with paint on it? I didn't think so but if you do....I might consider it! :)

Mary, those are just a few with painted ends. Not enough to be concerned with. Actually very few of them have that paint. If it were all of them, then I would either cut that off or just throw the wood on the brush pile.

Looking good Dennis. We have had 6 evening shoulder burns since the 15th of Sept.. Cleaning up some of the "shorts and uglies". sounds like we are going to be getting some colder temps this weekend. either way, we're ready, bring it on.

Rotti, any snow predicted?

Status
Not open for further replies.