Getting Ready

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red oak

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2011
northwest Virginia
So here in Virginia I've avoided building a fire so far, but this week I did bring wood in the house and get the stove ready. I'm posting some pics of my redone Fisher Papa Bear, complete with new sides and new firebrick, as well as a steel plate I'm using for a baffle. I'm also posting a pic of the wood I've stacked under my deck, which is just outside my basement door. This is wood that I reserve for snow, sickness, rain, or any other reason where I don't want to go to the main pile. There will be another stack this size under the other side of the deck by week's end. Usually it's about 6 weeks worth, and if I haven't used it by February I just start burning it and don't go the main woodpile at all. Kids were gonna help but got too busy climbing trees!

DSC02012.JPGDSC02014.JPGDSC02015.JPG

Nice looking stove, and handy woodpile, I started a fire tonight, wifes request windows are open now, oh well it still works and the wood is good and dry, no more test for awhile.

Nice looking stove, and handy woodpile, I started a fire tonight, wifes request windows are open now, oh well it still works and the wood is good and dry, no more test for awhile.

Yes sometimes that's the procedure around here this time of year - start a fire and then open window! Done that myself occasionally. I used to do that as a kid and Dad would tell me he didn't cut all that wood to heat the outside.

Reactions: Thistle
Thats nice ! you dont have to go to the main stack just in case ya get the big 2 ft drop of snowfall. Love the fisher papa bear. We have a old grandma bear with baffle plate.

Looks great!! - just in the nick of time, too...

Looking good
Weather may get cool at night for a small fire for you, but when does 24/7 burning start?

our forecast says the stove will be going by the upcoming weekend....just morning fires to start

Looking good
Weather may get cool at night for a small fire for you, but when does 24/7 burning start?

24/7 burning won't start here for at least another month. October typically has a warm stretch at some point where it can get in the 80s. Nights will be chilly. Usually by mid-November at the latest we're burning mostly 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.