Getting rid of bark / sawdust - Compost pile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CountryMom27 said:
TreePapa - how do you like that grate wall of fire? Our big, thick cast iron grate burned through this year and we need to replace it.

It's a mixed bag. On one hand, it actually does put out more heat, esp. when the coal bed is built up a bit. On the other hand, firewood, esp. splits, tends to get piled togther w/o enough space for combustion air. I've taken to cutting some 2-inch (or so) sticks into short (4 to 6 in.) pieces and using them as spacers (perpendicular to the splits, between layers) to achive more air space and better fires.

The back of the firebox in our FP is a collection of angles instead of a straight wall. So we wound up buying the fireback, and I had them make it the same length as the grate. Mistake; if you get the fireback, go with the size recommended for the grate, which is a couple inches shorter than the grate.

Overall, I think I will keep using it. I'd probably even buy it again. I'd like to get an insert or stove for the FP, except for 2 things - (1) the wife doesn't like the idea; and (2) the FP is in the den, which is the smallest room in the house, and closed in. Even a small stove would probably bake us out of the room!

Peace,
- Sequoia

I have like others thrown the bark in a box or bin in the boiler shed and used it for kindling. the small stuff and sawdust I use to replenish the mulched area next to the wood storage and boiler shed to keep the grass and weeds out. We also burn a few times a year "recreational" fires are allowed so I pull out a lawn chain and a beer. The local PD will only respond on a complaint they will just drive on past unless someone calls them.

Status
Not open for further replies.