Getting rid of pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregM

Aug 11, 2009
Saco, ME
Ended up with 17 bags of the Athens pellets ( first version, poor quality), at the end of the season, have tried some other brands and decided not to use the Athen's pellets, Anyone have recomendations on where I can dispose of this garbage?

Found a solution thanks

Why not just mix in a little with your good pellets and burn'em up? Are they that bad? I'll take'em if you really want to dump them.
Mike -

GregM said:
Ended up with 17 bags of the Athens pellets ( first version, poor quality), at the end of the season, have tried some other brands and decided not to use the Athen's pellets, Anyone have recomendations on where I can dispose of this garbage?

Use them for traction on your front steps when it gets icy....they work rather well for that !

SparkyDog said:
.....Use them for traction on your front steps when it gets icy....they work rather well for that !

Or kill 2 birds w/ one stone.....put a few bags in the trunk/bed of the car/truck for added traction in the winter, plus if you do get stuck, break open a bag for the above mentioned extra traction.

now thats when you know you have a crap pellets....

My harman burns them with no problem, just more ash than other pellets

GregM,

If you really want to dispose of them, I can burn them in my stove.
Like Steveo said, they burn in our stoves but have more ash to deal with.
Let me know

I have a couple of cats. What can I expect for heat output and ash? Were there a lot of clinkers? Last time I used feline fuel I ended up doing a lot of scraping. And the fur gets caught in the auger.

Try a Chinese restaurant supply house ;-P

GregM said:

Found a solution thanks

I wonder how they would do in a compost and for fishing worms.

Souzafone said:
I have a couple of cats. What can I expect for heat output and ash? Were there a lot of clinkers? Last time I used feline fuel I ended up doing a lot of scraping. And the fur gets caught in the auger.

Now THAT is freakin funny LMAO!!!! :lol:

OldDedHed said:
Try a Chinese restaurant supply house ;-P

Hey, hey....leave those cats alone at the Chinese restaurant! They happen to do a lot of good, especially in the Egg Fu cat, and Cat Fu Yong ;-)

Jeez.....hope there's no cat lovers reading this, like Zeta.....

Wet1 said:
Do you have a cat? They make really good kitty litter.

We use them for guinea pig bedding. less mess, smells better and last longer than anything else we have tried. Paid $4.25/ bag for rocky mountains. Feed mill thats sells simular pellet but with many more fines for bedding wants $7.50/bag.

Bantam said:
Wet1 said:

We use them for guinea pig bedding. less mess, smells better and last longer than anything else we have tried.

You use cats for Guinea pig bedding???? :gulp: You guys in Ohio are weird :lol:

macman said:
Bantam said:
Wet1 said:

We use them for guinea pig bedding. less mess, smells better and last longer than anything else we have tried.

You use cats for Guinea pig bedding???? :gulp: You guys in Ohio are weird :lol:

You should see what we use the Guinea pigs for...;)

You guys are too funny! I'm glad my office door is closed, I'm laughing so hard!

Status
Not open for further replies.