getting shocked while running fireplace blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
i've been using our newly installed northstar fireplace for about 3 months now. i've noticed times when i get shocked when going to adjust the blower fan speed or open the fireplace door to load more wood.

i had just assumed this was a product of dry air resulting from having a fire. but, tonight it dawned on me that this occurs only when i'm running the blower fan (something my wife prefers to heat the place up quicker - i'd rather get the firebox hotter...). so, is this just a common thing with blower fans, or is something awry with my unit? it definitely seems like a static charge, but i find it weird that it's both at the switch and at the metal frame. it's much stronger than a normal static charge as well.

I haven't heard of that happening before, is the stove plug grounded? When was the blower last cleaned?

If this is static buildup maybe the blower is acting like a Wimshurst machine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimshurst_machine

there was no specific ground in the wiring on the unit. so, we screwed the ground from the wall switch directly into the metal frame of the fireplace where there was already a hole. metal contact between the frame and the fireplace seemed to be continuous and uninterrupted by something like paint or a gap.

the installer didn't have a good answer - they defer to the electrician. my "electrician" was a friend who has wired many things. the install manual was silent on the grounding, though the switch that came with the unit had a ground with it.

Check to see if the blower cage is rubbing against anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.