1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Getting Some Smokey Odor in Basement

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by velvetfoot, Dec 4, 2012.

1. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I'm getting some smoke odor in basement.
    It's probably getting sucked into the oil flue, which is hardly on now.
    The smaller chimney is the wood: sl300 with ss liner.
    The oil flue is by Metalbestos.
    Could I use outside air for the oil boiler and maybe block off the barometric damper - how much is that needed anyway?

[​IMG]
    Any ideas?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames Feeling the Heat

I would install an OAK for the wood burner not the oil burner. Or extend the wood burning chimney flue higher to get it up above the other flue.
  3. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    You've got a Metalbestos oil flue. I think I'd take the chance on removing the Barometric Damper to see how the oil burner performs. A lot of times the barometric units were put in to keep chimney temperatures low. I don't think you need to worry about that with the Metalbestos Class A system.
  4. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Extending the wood flue above the oil would be quite an extend. Plus the flue is sl300. Maybe shortening the oil flue and extending the wood flue would do it. Then, since the prevailing winds tend to blow the wood smoke towards the oil flue, even if the wood flue would be inactive the wind would tend to blow the oil fumes away from the wood flue. I´ll see if I can get some advice from an as yet undetermined chimney sweep.