Getting started on next years wood with a Nice free Water Oak ;-)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jghall

Jan 3, 2008
Metro Atlanta
Got a call from a friend I work with who owns a side lawn care business.... He said one of his customers had a large water oak (some call it a pin oak) that split in a storm last week, and wanted to know if I wanted the wood... I said of course, it was only five miles from my house and free, thats a good start on next years wood ;-)... It was hot getting though... I hauled out 3 full loads (My truck bed and 5x10 trailer both full) of all the limbs, and went back Saturday for the main trunk.... My Stihl 036 Pro is in for a tuneup, so me and the 029 had a good ole time.... I had to rip em down to size before I could even lift them... This tree was huge!!!! I counted 59 distinct rings, who knows how old it is??? Here are some shots...

Attachments

• Water Oak 2 resize.jpg
    Water Oak 2 resize.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 229
  • Water Oak resize.jpg
    Water Oak resize.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 268
  • Water Oak 3 resize.jpg
    Water Oak 3 resize.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Water Oak 4 resize.jpg
    Water Oak 4 resize.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 215
Thats some nice btu's!

And it appears to be vintage wood based on the look of the photos . . . probably from the 1920s or earlier I would say. ;)

JHall said:
Got a call from a friend I work with who owns a side lawn care business.... He said one of his customers had a large water oak (some call it a pin oak) that split in a storm last week, and wanted to know if I wanted the wood... I said of course, it was only five miles from my house and free, thats a good start on next years wood ;-)... It was hot getting though... I hauled out 3 full loads (My truck bed and 5x10 trailer both full) of all the limbs, and went back Saturday for the main trunk.... My Stihl 036 Pro is in for a tuneup, so me and the 029 had a good ole time.... I had to rip em down to size before I could even lift them... This tree was huge!!!! I counted 59 distinct rings, who knows how old it is??? Here are some shots...

Good score and nice work, I like the way you have the pics, old school.

zap

Thanks for the comments on the pictures... I was playing around with the filters on my Iphone :).... I started splitting some today, and one round made a double row 14' long, wow there is allot of wood in this tree..

Status
Not open for further replies.