Getting stove put in, a few questions........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty81

Nov 16, 2010
nebraska
So we are getting our wood stove put in today. The guy cut a square in our roof to put the support box in. His hole was kinda sloppy and I doubt he plans on sealing it up. Id say there is a 1/2 gap on one side...................Im kinda peeved. You can see day light through it. So what can I seal this gap up with?

I was thinking fire rated expandable foam. Its good up to 240 degrees but im not sure how hot the support box will get.

Any suggestions?

Also, how hard is it to change out the weather cap? He put an unscreened one on and it looks like crap and I dont need birds or anything else in the pipe.

Maybe there is an additional trim that goes around the box. There is in most cases. I wouldnt pay him if he plans on leaving it like that

When you say, "I can see daylight" I'm thinkin..........you don't suppose he didn't re-install new shingling around the flashing, do you?

The flashing that goes over the vertical piping should have about a 6 - 8" lip on it all around, that sits on the roof. The shingling should go up to the edges of the vertical part of the flashing.

-Soupy1957

Is there flashing around your pipe? I'm thinking a hole that is 1/2" larger on one side of the pipe isn't that big of a deal, and should be covered by flashing.

Matt

Are you saying he isn't using flashing ??? Please update... Did he fix the situation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.