Getting the 13 ready for sale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
I have a guy coming to look at it that sounds like he will take it home if it's up to snuff, which it is.

Anything I need to do to get it ready to go? Best strategy for moving it? How may people will it take to get it in the bed of a truck? :lol: It's 325 lbs.

TIA!

2 average dudes can probably get that in a truck if they bend at the knees, or 1 Sasquatch, personally, I'd go with Sasquatch for the novelty of the whole thing. Of course, then they'll want to borrow your sasquatch to get it off the truck....

also suggest furniture dolly, wrap it in an old blankie for protections (the stove, not the dolly)

Shhh. Don't tell everybody about my Sasquatch. He's a little funky smelling, but he makes a mean frittata, and I don't want to share.

k, you would not believe the amount of stuff you can move by yourself if you are a bit resourceful! with the help of a buyer, it should be no problem...( a smart buyer would already have someone along with him).
if not, use a fulcrum and lever to raise the stove high enough to load into a vehicle...but, this must be done in stages and with stable support.
my brother was along for the purchase and unloading of my nc-13. it was loaded by a lift at the home depot, and when we unloaded it at the cottage (after driving as close as i could to the back door), he looked at me with that look..."you brought me along for this?". since then i have loaded and unloaded it myself and also moved it into position, etc. the bigger problem was getting the old beast out! that thing must go about 500-easy! it is like and old grandpa bear fisher! just a few inches at a time when it came to moving that. but, with a plan, and good protection for the floors, (and being safe yourself) and also like i said, strong stable support and lever, the stove should just about load itself!!
good luck with the sale, be careful

2 of the Dixettes strong backed buddies got the 13 off of the bed of my truck (we took it off of the pallet) and loaded it onto a dolly for the short trip into the house. They didn't even give me a chance to remove the fire bricks (picture Dix in the bed of the truck watching this unfold, and going "hmpppfff"). Just keeping steady hands on it for 2 smallish steps kept it steady.

As for the interior, I'd give it a good vacuuming, and clean up the glass & the exterior. Should do the trick :0

Good luck, K !

You can lighten it up a bit by removing the fire bricks and door. Every little bit helps.

If the buyer has any sense, he will bring a buddy or two to help. You may want to suggest this. :) If he's fairly local, it would be no big deal for him to look it over and come back with help.

Inside looks good after vacuum and cleaning glass. Nothing else should be necessary there. Two men should easily be able to handle the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.