1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Getting the basement warmer

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Jaymaine34, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Jaymaine34

Jaymaine34 Member

Ok I know this has been talked about before but never saw what people had for results . So here's my idea .
    I'm gonna run a vent from behined my pellet stove at the highest point close to the ceiling . It will be a 12-15 foot run ending at the basement floor with a fan pulling the air down ( fan will be on the basement end ) I have an open stairwell that will be used as they return . It will be going into an insulated 400 sq ft guest room in the basement . The room stays 60 all the time just want to come up about 6-8 degrees . For the last 2 days I had a fan at the top of the stairs blowing down and the room got up to 65 and stayed there so I think this might work .
    Moving the stove is not an option ! I do have a secound heat source ( electric ) not gonna even go there .
    I just think to myself I've already got the heat I just need to get it where I want it . I know this goes all against the laws of physics but it seems to work in my little experiment .
    Let me know what you think ?
    All venting will be out of site ( I found a chase in the wall ) boss would kill me if I had something riged up on the wall !

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. sheetmetaldan

sheetmetaldan New Member

Loc:
    Acushnet, Ma
    It might work but I don`t think the temp will be any better than what the fan at the top of the stairs did for you. What size duct would you run to the cellar room,will it be insulated? Is the chase where the duct runs on an outside wall if your duct is uninsulated and run in a cold area it will rob you of any heat that you are trying to force into that room. What type of fan will you use and how will it be controlled? A variable speed fan with a dimmer type of switch in the room would be what I would do to control airflow.
  3. Jaymaine34

Jaymaine34 Member

It's and inside wall and it will run along my chimminey ( chimminey is in center of house ) fan will be controlled by a switch .
    Pipe will be insulated ( I'm thinking 6 or 8 inch ) need to see what I can fit . I'm not looking for a huge jump if I can maintain that 5 degree I will be very happy ! Also I'm thinking flex vent like on a H-Vac system
    Haven't picked out a certain fan yet
  4. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    Check your local codes before cutting. vents like this are banned in most locales these days.
  5. Jaymaine34

Jaymaine34 Member

Will do ! Thanks for the heads up !