getting the cap of a ss liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gspro

Dec 12, 2007
Western NY
I'm having trouble getting the cap off my ss liner. I've banged on it trying to free it up, but it's not budging. Is there something I could spray on it to loosen the creosote?

Is this the cap over the bottom of a clean-out "T"? If its stuck on because of creosote, I wouldn't apply direct heat as it might make things worse, but you could try a spot lamp to try and expand the metal slightly. Ever try and get a rusty brake drum off of a truck? Bang a little bit with a hammer and screwdriver on each side until it starts to come off. Patience is key.

Maybe try some anti-creosote stuff for spraying on wood. That and a heat lamp might help dissolve some of it.

Tapping lightly with a hammer should loosen both the top and bottom. Sometimes a screwdriver helps (on the edge of the cap rim) as I've just tapped the screwdriver with the hammer and got it to lift. But according to a neighbor, cussing seems to help him a lot.

Backwoods Savage said:
But according to a neighbor, cussing seems to help him a lot.

Kinda like my Grandpa and the old Maytag single cylinder clothes washer motor. Call it a useless SOB, spit tobacco on it and it would start on the first kick. I actually witnessed several times that it would not start until he did that.

Defies all logic.

As to that chimney cap. Hit us with a picture of the thing. Something ain't right here. I have never had a cap take more than a tap with a screwdriver handle. Well, except for the ones with screws in them.

I betcha I know which cap it is: is it a turn and lock style w/ a simple peg and a long u shaped cut to clip it? Those can be a pain if they get glazed. Hit it w/ a little liquid wrench. Let it sit for 5 then pry it off.

summit said:
I betcha I know which cap it is: is it a turn and lock style w/ a simple peg and a long u shaped cut to clip it? Those can be a pain if they get glazed. Hit it w/ a little liquid wrench. Let it sit for 5 then pry it off.

That is why I asked for the pic. I had one of those for a while. But after a summer and rain it always just unlocked and came off. Rain seems to be a great cap cleaner.

Hated that damned cap.

Its a TCE cap.. they make a very user friendly liner tee, but not the cap so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.