Getting the hang of it: Finally cooked ourselves out and had to open some screen doors!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hfjeff

Aug 16, 2007
Waupun, WI
I am realizing now that it does take some skill and strategy to efficiently heat with wood. When I first installed my insert I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed. But after some helpful advice from all of you I have made much progress. The block-off plate and ceiling fan have made a tremendous difference.

Didn't start the insert last night because it was already 70 in the house and I didn't realize it was going to get down to 39. By morning it was a brisk 64 throughout my old ranch. Fired up the insert and loaded a couple times through the day. By 5pm it was 80 deg in the living room and I couldn't take it any more. Even the farthest bedroom was up to 70. Opened the patio and front doors to cool it down a bit. I was happy to do it. It is a good problem to have.

Thanks to all who provided the ideas, strategies, and encouragement, I am getting this heat machine figured out and becoming quite happy with it. There is more to it than just loading with wood and turning on the fan. It takes some planning to get ahead of the cold and stragety to move the air where it needs to go. I've learned lots from this site. Wax on, Wax off. Thanks.

Good to hear. Id rather have a window open and get some fresh air than having them closed with the furnace on & having the T-stat mizerly set.
Without that block off plate is like a hot dog without the mustard. ;-P After reading about it so much here I convinced the neihbor to do it with his summit insert. He said it was like a different stove reborn. I got to walk away with my chest out because of the peoples extra efforts here. Now because of your post it will reasure somone else to have the courage to spend the time,money & do it right. Another positive for the hearth world.

Jeff,

I had the same problem as you a couple of weks ago with having to open the windows because the house was too hot. It is a godd thing and I like you are getting the hang of how to load up and burn the stove. I am looking forward to lots of savings this year on oil and lots of warmth in the house.

I do remember a saying that I saw here, '75 with a wood stove is cold, 65 with the Gas/Oil/Electric heat is hot'

The best way I have heard analogizing heating a home entirely with a wood stove and having it be comfortable is:
Its like a chess match.

What wood do I load with, oak or pine?
What size load?
Do I go for a short fire and heat the house up or will it be windy/cold enough to warrant an overnight burn?
What if that front doesnt come through like the WX man said?

One thing for sure it keeps you thinking and you can always open a window but I gave my sweaters to Goodwill long ago ;)

Sounds like you are getting the hang of it. As others have mentioned, there are a lot of things to consider. Indoor temp, outdoor temp, what the high and low temps are expected to be, type and size of wood you are burning, if anyone will be home later, etc. Also sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the temps. I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer that sits in the stove room for quick reference when tending the fire.

Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.