getting the max output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stillersnut

Sep 14, 2009
south central pa.
Let me thank all the fellow pellet heads for all the help I've recieved thus far on this site!! I recently installed my PAH beast and have had a couple nights of burn time. Im burning Turmans and now trying Pennwood, both great pellets. My problem is air temp at output. Im only getting about 130 deg on setting 2 blower 3, and about 165 deg on 5-6. I played with bottom 3 buttons and switched to a 3-5-1 setting and saw a small increase in flame height and heat. My old Gnome would burn these same pellets at 300/350 deg. Mike at Englander said it wont burn as hot as my Gnome, but has a much more powerful blower to more evenly disperse the heat. Are these normal temp readings for this stove? What more can I do to get more heat?? thanks again......happy burning

Last edited:
I've never measured my air output temps on my PAH and it hasn't been cold enough here to burn yet (when it is, I'll check my temps). I will mention that since the blower speed can be higher then the feed rate, you will get cooler air if the blower is higher then the feed rate. I normally keep them the same and it seems to work best. Also it puts out decent heat on the low settings (at least I think), but you'll notice a huge difference when it's around 7 or higher. Of course it will be accompanied by significantly more air noise also...but it cranks out the heat at that level and does distribute it nicely with the strong blower. One other thing is that it takes quite a while for the stove to really heat up, so I would imagine higher air temps after longer run time (although I don't know at what point you measured it already).

I measured the air using a meat thermo placed inside air slots on front of stove. I did take the temps after about 3 hrs of burn time. I wonder what air temps other people register with their stoves? I just want to make sure Im able to max my heat output in dead of winter.

I'll be measuring mine with my meat thermometer also (a Thermoworks Thermapen) so it should be interesting to see if our results vary much. I didn't have that tool at my disposal last year, so maybe I can check temps with different setting when I get it up and running for the season. If you have a chance, try measuring it at the higher feed setting and see what it says for temp (although that may be way too much heat for this time of year).

I'll be measuring mine with my meat thermometer also (a Thermoworks Thermapen) so it should be interesting to see if our results vary much. I didn't have that tool at my disposal last year, so maybe I can check temps with different setting when I get it up and running for the season. If you have a chance, try measuring it at the higher feed setting and see what it says for temp (although that may be way too much heat for this time of year).
Do you mean bumping up the LFF ?

Yes, bumping up the LFF was what I was referring to. Got it running tonight (I thought a preseason test run with open windows was called for). After a few hours on and some tweaking of the settings I read 140 degrees at the grate. That is on the left side...for some reason the hottest spot (probably due to the blower being mounted on the opposite side). The center is only about 120. This is with the stove on feed rate 1 and blower 1. I'm burning leftover Green Supreme pellets from last year that have been sitting in the hopper since spring (I know....bad idea) so definitely not the quality fuel you're using. I changed my setting to 6-4-1 tonight to get this reading. I'll update more when I have a chance to play with it further.

For about the first hour and a half I wasn't getting a reading over 120 with any feed rate of 1-5 and was getting discouraged...but it seems to take a long time to really heat up and come alive.

Yes, bumping up the LFF was what I was referring to. Got it running tonight (I thought a preseason test run with open windows was called for). After a few hours on and some tweaking of the settings I read 140 degrees at the grate. That is on the left side...for some reason the hottest spot (probably due to the blower being mounted on the opposite side). The center is only about 120. This is with the stove on feed rate 1 and blower 1. I'm burning leftover Green Supreme pellets from last year that have been sitting in the hopper since spring (I know....bad idea) so definitely not the quality fuel you're using. I changed my setting to 6-4-1 tonight to get this reading. I'll update more when I have a chance to play with it further.

For about the first hour and a half I wasn't getting a reading over 120 with any feed rate of 1-5 and was getting discouraged...but it seems to take a long time to really heat up and come alive.
Thanks dlehneman, keep me posted. My settings are at 3/5/1. On setting 1/2 I was getting 125 with the Turmans. When I burn tomorrow I'll bump up to 6/4/1 and let ya know what It reads.

Played with the settings quite a bit and I'm getting my best readings at 6/4/1 and 6/3/1 (within 1 degree). At those settings I'm getting 143 on the left side and around 127 in the center with the stove on feed rate=1/ blower=1. Raising feed and blower to 2/2 I get 137 left side and 128 or so in the center (fluctuated between 125-135 but averaged about 128). I'll try running it at 5/5 for a while and take a reading...my house is getting too warm for much more testing today(even with windows open).

I am getting significantly lower temps at higher feed/ blower rates so I'm wondering if I have an issue somewhere.

I am getting significantly lower temps at higher feed/ blower rates so I'm wondering if I have an issue somewhere.

I wonder if its because LFF is up too high? I have heard running the powerful blower on high numbers, can actually make it feel cooler at front of this stove. Englander Stove Master, Mike Holton burns this same stove in his house. I tried to contact him through Englander yesterday, but was not seccessful. He usually lurks around hear. Maybe he'll chime in. Its supposed to be in 30's tonight, so I'll tinker a bit and let ya know what I'm getting. And just maybe Mike will lend us some help or info on these temps

Supposedly those setting only apply to when the heat range and blower speed are on 1 or 2, but maybe that's not correct. It certainly felt very warm sitting right in front of the stove to take the measurements, but the fire didn't seem as high as it should have and my heat measurement was lower then heat range 1 or 2 so it seems strange. You said you were getting 165 degrees at heat range 5 and I was measuring about 40 degrees below that! I read back through my manual and don't see anything about low heat output so I'm not sure what to think. I too am hoping Mike will chime in and share some insight.

Just wanted to say thanks to Mike (and Englander) for reaching out to me! It's rare when a company actually takes time to follow up with customers in such a personal way.

Reactions: stayfitz
Status
Not open for further replies.