Getting the pellets into the basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdata

I hope this is of interest to someone.
Like most other folks I buy my pellets by the pallet of 50. I usually get them delivered to my garage and have to get them down it the
basement. My first pallet, I carried each bag down the basement stairs... Way too much exercise. After that I experimented with various ways
of sliding them down the stairs. Last year I used a folding table with a couple of strips of plywood duct taped onto it for extra length.
Worked ok but wasn't really sturdy and would start to come apart after a while.
This past summer I removed a pair of bi-fold doors from a closet in my house. I was going to get rid of them but then had an idea for a pellet
bag slide.
I removed the handles from the front and all the little mounting gadgets from the tops and bottoms of the doors. Next I added some 3/8" eye
screws to one end of each set of doors, 2 per door panel, 8 total. Scrounged up 2 metal rods about 1/4" diameter and less than the width of 1
door panel.
slide-03.jpg

I laid the door panels out lengthwise on the stairs and connected them together with the metal rods thru the eye screws on the ends of the
door panels.
slide-02.jpg
slide-04.jpg

At the bottom of the slide I used a left over moving box as a landing area.
2 door sets at around 80" long are a little longer than the stairs and the width leaves me just enuf room to get myself down the stairs.
slide-01.jpg

The real benefit of using bi-fold doors is that they can be folded up against the wall of the stairway if I don't finish the job in one day.
slide-05.jpg
slide-06.jpg

Sweet idea!

At first I thought you were sliding the pallet down the stairs! I was wondering how you controlled it!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.