Getting warmer faster in the house this year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
I've noticed that the house is getting warmer and it's getting there faster this year. Now, my system has remained relatively unchanged, so guessing that it must mean that my wood is better seasoned than last year (less heat wasted evaporating water). Does that sound about right? Heck, I even left the storm windows off this year, becuase of the inside temp of last season with burning. Looks like I need to get those heat ducts out to the garage ASAP so I don't have to keep opening the patio door to cool off the house!

properly seasoned wood would definatley make a big difference...

our first year burning we had the same problem. we got the stove late in the year and had to buy wood that the seller said was seasoned. no way it could have been. had trouble getting the stove to 350-400*. the following year using wood that i got and was seasoned the temps were at 400-450* easy. so much warmer and warm faster with good wood..

It is a combination of better fuel and warmer than usual fall. That is about to change (the weather, not the fuel).

Better fuel, warmer fall (in my case) and more knowledge on what to do and not to do . . . it has made a real difference in being warmer and getting longer burns.

Ja, nice dry wood sure makes a difference. The wood I'm burning now was processed before the wood I burned last year so it's better than it was last year. I had this wood trapped in the back of the shed which is first in, last out.

Supposedly, we have big snow coming our way and then single digit highs following that. We'll see how everything goes during all that!

Status
Not open for further replies.