Getting water dripping in my new fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtwarrin5

Apr 14, 2009
Northwest Ohio
We just finished our first year of burning and we recently had a decent amount of rain. My wife noticed that we had water dripping in on our fire brick. I called the business where we bought the fireplace and they asked if we had had our pipe cleaned yet and I said that we had not. They were wondering if the cap had been messed. They also told me that the duratech engineers told them that cresote build-up can cause water not to run-off of the cap and pipe correctly. I called the chimney sweep and will set-up for them to come out. Are there any thoughts what might be causing the water to enter? Any help would appreciated. By the way, the fireplace installed was a Quadrafire 7100. The pipe extends 12" about the limestone top of the chase. Thanks for your help.

Tell the sweep what is happening and he/she can figure it out by looking at the setup much better than we can. For any of the Dura Tech caps to channel water into the liner because of creosote buildup there would have to be a layer an inch thick built up around the rain lip on the thing and I just can't picture that happening.

I sell the 7100 where I work and to my knowledge I thought the venting for the 7100 had to come directly from Quadra-Fire (hearth & home Tech.) and I'm pretty sure it requires sl-300 series vent. We get the occasional leaky chimney every now and then. I think it's sometimes just an unfortunate act of nature like a rock hittting a windshield when driving. My husband has done alot of the installs here and after being with him on some installs, I know he is no slacker when it comes to siliconing the flashing, but still sometimes there is a leak. Faulty installation could be to blame but it's not always the case. A chimney sweep should be able to get up there and fix it. If he/she gets up there and sees something wrong with the install more than likely he/she will share that with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.