Getting wood inside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Convenience can be costly.
Dave I nearly pooped my pants when I saw this! This has to be one of the scariest pictures I have seen here! Maybe I am overreacting but I had to say something.

Ray

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/home-made-log-cart.79003/

I modified a 600 lb dolly to haul wood from out back off the racks up to the house. This year I am using a log rack on my front covered porch to store the wood. Last year the warm winter created a lot off bugs crawling around driving us bag crazy sooo this year I am playing it safe and keeping all the wood outside.

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_20111217_122204.jpg
    IMG_20111217_122204.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: raybonz
i have been loading up the trailer, bringing it around back, disconnect it and push it through the double doors like a rickshaw, then stack a rack or two. or at least thats what i did when i was burning the big stove downstairs. last year, i walked out to the woodshed and "picked" the shorter sticks for the jotul.
all new cuts are being done for jotul. if i burn the summit, guess we'll do it all again. it works for me, that way we can get a week or two ahead, especially if bad weather is forecast to roll in.
View attachment 76202View attachment 76203View attachment 76204View attachment 76205

tcassavaugh, I like the looks of your hearth down there. That looks really cool. Maybe a little clearance would be better. But very nice man. Do you use the basement for anything else? Entertaining area, mancave/beerdrinkingroom?

Cass that looks mighty dangerous to me! I would never stack that much wood that close to a wood burning stove. The way I see it is if a stack topples and can land on the stove then it is too close. You have the potential for disaster in my opinion! If my wood hoop were to topple which is very unlikely it would not come close to the stove. Sure it is less convenient but also very safe. I have had wood piles collapse that I thought were stacked well so please get that wood away from there..

Ray

Uhh, times two! Yikes! I typically really try not interfering in other people's preferences but man o' man I think that is incredibly dangerous (and possibly also "buggy"). Isn't there somewhere further from the stove to stack that stuff?

i use a large wheel barrow bring in enuf wood to last for 3 to 4 days and put it in my sun room....those fancy carts look nice..but i ould think the old fashioned wheel barrow would be best bet

never had any problems being too close or falling over.....but thanks for the concern. i checked it quite often for temperature when i first started stacking it in the early years just to make sure. never more than just warm to the touch. i use the basement occasionally. i have a flat screen a wi and a stereo. long ago when the kids were home, we had their bedrooms down here. we still have two guest rooms, but have opened it up a bit with some minor remodeling. actually, i think that was when i went in for some hand surgery and wouldn't be able to get any in. none down there now, i'll certainly take into consideration not stacking it so close or high....i appreciate the safety tips.

cass

Cass that looks mighty dangerous to me! I would never stack that much wood that close to a wood burning stove. The way I see it is if a stack topples and can land on the stove then it is too close. You have the potential for disaster in my opinion! If my wood hoop were to topple which is very unlikely it would not come close to the stove. Sure it is less convenient but also very safe. I have had wood piles collapse that I thought were stacked well so please get that wood away from there..

Ray

It does look like a fire waiting to happen.

It does look like a fire waiting to happen.
Yes no room for error there.. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night with such a potential hazard.. I like the stove and hearth set-up just not the huge amount of wood that could topple onto the stove so easily.. I am only concerned of what could happen..Occasionally I will use an indoor clothes drying rack and I place that so it can't land on the stove too..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.