getting wood without permision???? right or wrong

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone came to me and asked about trees, wood, anything that could not be seen from the road, I would know they are trespassing and that would really tick me off.
"I was trespassing on your land and I saw some trees I would want to cut."

Good point.

"Taking" advantage of someone else's property is what has led to so much posting private property to no hunting, no trespassing. You must also remember, that the government doesn't like competition when it comes to taking something that isn't yours.

Reactions: Ash_403 and Thistle
Lots left up to interpretation and speculation regarding your "no" relationship with this individual. I am wondering if you have had poor dealings with him in the past or the "grumpy" is just rumor from those that did?? If, in fact, you have not spoke or dealt with him prior you may be surprised as to how he reacts to someone respectfully discussing the shared opportunity. I like the idea of sharing the CSS wood if he burns - even in a fire pit. I do not think 1-1 is where I would start as you are offering the entire labor but that may be where you end up and then you have to decide the value. Either way it is obvious to you that the "don't ask-don't tell" approach is the incorrect method of wood gathering but may be surprised how easy it is to befriend the local grouch with some tact and reciprocation. Farmers need help with a LOT of things so have a back up plan thought out or be willing to discuss other options in trade for the wood - including cash - if he is not interested in any of it.

Sometimes just a C-note is the in road. As the saying goes - a bird in the hand... If it is rotting and someone can get paid in any form to have it taken there is significant motivation to accept the offer. Mr. and Sir are good methods to address a grump and killing them with kindness and respect can go a longgg way. People that have been known as the town grump for many years often develop into that role over time through one or two incidents that occurred in the past. This psychy, over time, is tough for someone with limited social skills to reverse without the other side(you) extending the olive branch. Hence, they become the town grump and continue to live up to their assumed position. Often being the only one that actually treats them with respect(especially if said respect has been denied for years base on innuendo) can grant you some powerful and unlimited access.

If this be the case - good! If not you have lost nothing(including your dignity or risk of becoming known as the town thief) by asking and if done with tact may crack the ice a bit for potential opportunity down the road. Even grumpy people "like people" - they are just not very good at it and often are overwhelmed when treated respectfully even if they do not show it immediately or outwardly from the onset. You may take him by surprise. Your people skills and ability to tactfully negotiate is the scale tipper in this equation and ultimately your best asset. Use them wisely and let us know how it goes.

Bob Urban

Ask my former "neighbor" to my east how I reacted to him in the middle of the night helping himself to 3 wheelbarrows worth for his firepit from over the fence in August 2009....Seen the big hole in the stack the next morning & some of it was still smoldering.:mad:

Thistle - a shot over the bow would be my reaction to someone helping themselves to my stack and the funny thing is for me(and I am guessing for you as well) if my neighbor ask or offered to buy a little for a bon fire I would direct them to the uglies stack and offer it for free. Self helpers - in this situation - get no love!

I have a moral dilemma. There is a spot 2 miles from the house where a farmer pushed up 5 acres of hardwood. They push the trees over and neatly piled them up. They have been left to rot in the woods, and the farmer is a grouchy old fart. Is it wrong to go out there and neatly cut it up to take home?? It is on the back side of a corn field where no one can see. They have been piled up for 3 years, The butt logs are solid, the cherry is punky, but solid inside. There is a nice trail for the gator.

Stealing wood from a grouchy old farmer is probably a bad idea......... They typically have guns.

Booze. A grumpy old farts best friend. Find out what he drinks and hand it over just before you ask permission. It's amazing how much land a person can hunt with just one bottle of Jim Bean.

Hahahahah. isn't that the truth!

Reactions: firefighterjake
The owner of a Tree Service I worked for years ago told me he did some big removals for a guy who made his living selling firewood.. For 2 winters he put up with a neighbor behind him stealing wood ...Well he finally set the stealing neighbor up by pushing a nice pile where it was easy to take... Little did the neighbor know that one piece had been bored with a plug maker and a M80 sealed off inside.. The guy I worked for asked the guy what happened , the guy just said , well lets just say no more wood was ever taken...

The owner of a Tree Service I worked for years ago told me he did some big removals for a guy who made his living selling firewood.. For 2 winters he put up with a neighbor behind him stealing wood ...Well he finally set the stealing neighbor up by pushing a nice pile where it was easy to take... Little did the neighbor know that one piece had been bored with a plug maker and a M80 sealed off inside.. The guy I worked for asked the guy what happened , the guy just said , well lets just say no more wood was ever taken...

Not a good idea, even if the person was stealing the wood you are setting your self up for a law suit in this day and age.

Reactions: Nixon
This may be a good time to get to know the individual. Some folks are just grumpy by nature and there is always a chance that breaking the ice talking about wood may get you an invite to cut. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The reason I know where it is, is because I was there when they were clearing the trees. his workers let me and a neighbor cut at the time. They would lay out 4 trees at a time and we would buck them up, and they would clear the tops and lay out 4 more.

As a farmer surrounded by small parcels , I get asked by neighbors these kinds of things. Used to be nice about it fifteen years ago but in the last few years we don't even let anybody hunt.Remember, some farmers feel the same way about a couple hundred acres as most folks feel about their back yard.

Not a good idea, even if the person was stealing the wood you are setting your self up for a law suit in this day and age.
That was probably 20 years ago and out in the boonies.. Your right, law suit big time! House burn, guy die,, never did find that out...Just know the guy had enough of the guy stealing his wood..

There is a huge red oak lying in the woods across from me. The owner is just not willing to let anyone on his property.
It's his right. I just look at it everyday and sigh.:confused:

There is a young couple that just moved in up the street and about 6 weeks ago while walking my dog, i saw the guy up in a lift cutting up one of the black locust trees in his side yard. I know the house does not have a woodstove or a fireplace so i went over and asked him if he was getting rid of the wood and if so, i would take it off his hands. He said kind of snotty that he was keeping it. I just said "ok" and went on my way. Well, now i have to walk by that huge pile of locust everyday and watch it just sitting there, knowing it will never be used. My only consolation is that it will not rot, and someday when the homeowner gets smart, i will get some black locust....

Could be he has plans to put in a stove.
I don't like snotty neighbors.

I dont like snotty folks either... Oh well, i still have about 20ft of black locust in the back of my yard that still needs to be bucked up and then split. I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by black locust around here...one problem is that not alot of them are on my property...

Status
Not open for further replies.