Ghetto Bike Work Stand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
This is a little OT, but I like to bike. And just like with chainsaws, the better your maintenance practices, the better the biking.

This is a good, cheap way to suspend a bike above the floor so that you can check out the gear shifting, clean and lube, etc. A regular bike stand costs around $350, and this baby set me back about $10. The bike is connected to the black iron pipe fittings with a piece of seat post bolted to a 3/4-inch reducer. Note that you can mount the bike either horizontally (as shown) or vertically, and you can even hang two bikes at the same time.

Attachments

• workstand1.jpg
    workstand1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 512
  • workstand2.jpg
    workstand2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 513
  • workstand3.jpg
    workstand3.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 457
Eric is that a triple chain ring :p and you call yourself a bicyclist :lol:

Just kidding of course

And I have a handle-bar mirror. Call me Fred.

I still ride a Raleigh Pro 1969 vintage, with sew-up tires, 10 speed, full Campy, 55-110 inch on the sprockets. Used that same gearing when I road the Rockies. In late 60's and early 70's lots of road racing. Competed in US Nationals twice. Wish I had your work stand back then.

I'm just getting back into it after many years. The new gear is amazing, but it's still mostly all about the conditioning. What's really amazing are the Google maps online. All those rural roads just waiting to be explored. Hopefully I can get into sufficient shape to tackle a 100-miler before the snow flies.

Props on keeping the Raleigh on the road, Jim. Those old steel frame ten speeds separate the men from the boys. I would like to refurb my old Viscount at some point and see if I still have what it takes. In college, that was about my only means of transportation.

jebatty said:
I still ride a Raleigh Pro 1969 vintage, with sew-up tires, 10 speed, full Campy, 55-110 inch on the sprockets. Used that same gearing when I road the Rockies. In late 60's and early 70's lots of road racing. Competed in US Nationals twice. Wish I had your work stand back then.

Keep hold of that bike!
Vintage Campy....yummmm
Eric
I like your stand...but I don't like the idea of taking out the seat post just for a quick lube.
Me...got way to many bike tools from the day.
When I was single I purchased a full campy toolset for $2000 used. I have had offers of $4000 and it just may be time to sell.

I don't bother doing it to lube, either. It is useful for making adjustments and thorough cleaning, however. I think my dad's old Raleigh, circa 1965, has a full Campy drivetrain, but it's probably about worn out by now. Fortunately, at 76, he's still going strong.

When are you guys going to come out a join RAGBRAI with me. We could create a Team Wood Burners. I have done it now for the last eight years in a row.

struggle said:
When are you guys going to come out a join RAGBRAI with me. We could create a Team Wood Burners. I have done it now for the last eight years in a row.

I like the name Team Wood better!

I used to do RAGBRAI, I would spend all my money by Wednesday.
To much fun indeed. I was always a great break. Race road bikes till Memorial Day, switch to Mt. Bike Racing, do RAGBRAI...recover from boozin...finish the season with Mt. Bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.