Giant Split Holder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaha_gurl

Aug 31, 2008
Ontairo
Hey Guys!

Well it's now off season, and I'm looking for ways to improve burning wood for next year. My issue is that right now I have a tiny wood holder that sits near the stove, and it doesn't hold enough wood, maybe a days worth if that. I am looking for something that will hold at least 5 days worth. Preferably I would like to build it myself...but how? If not, then I'll buy...I just can't seem to find anything that is reasonably priced either. My specs would be 2 feet wide x maybe 4 feet tall. What do you guys use to hold splits?

I liked the wood racks from LL-Bean. I took the picture to my railing shop and they made me a copy only larger .

I ended up buying one of the wire "baker's racks" from BJ's. I assembled it into two pieces - put the wheels on one section and left the other as a short rack. I roll the one to the back door, load it up with splits from the deck, then transfer to the other as needed to re-fill. All in all I was able to have about 3-3.5 days of wood stacked up on the two if I did a good job of stacking.

Here is a link to the product on Sams Club so you can see what I'm talking about. Obviously they come in different dimensions (and prices) - basically you can configure the shelves at whatever height you want.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=168602

I found the shelves nice also since I could be picky about which split to burn without having to dig through a pile... not that anyone else here would be all that selective when loading would they?

Ya'll must have nice, clean firewood. Since my wood is usually a bit messier, and my den w/ the FP is small, we use an old copper washbasin. If I had more room, I might build me something out of wood, but it would have to have something for catching the mess.

Peace,
- Sequoia

TreePapa said:
Ya'll must have nice, clean firewood. Since my wood is usually a bit messier, and my den w/ the FP is small, we use an old copper washbasin. If I had more room, I might build me something out of wood, but it would have to have something for catching the mess.

Nah - no clean wood here. I have hardwood floors and keep the broom and hand-vac nearby. The racks I use move very easily when empty (once a week) and then I sweep up the bits under them as well.

I use the big hoop. Eleven bucks on closeout at Lowe's year before last. I have a couple of large sheet baking pans under it to catch the junk.

Edthedawg said:
Would a large hoop do ya? Those'll hold 3 or 4 days supply pretty well.

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_images/597/204564597.jpg

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=204564597&listingid=34622026&dcaid=17902

I used the little HD sling all year and it was impossible to keep more than 2 days supply there - even when not in the coldest days.

Under normal conditions,I get close to week with the big loop!

Here it is next to the 30 for size comparison......

http://i42.tinypic.com/fuas1x.jpg

3157705472_cd05e7b5bf.jpg

YG this is a simple holder..it holds 3+ days of wood. Has room underneath for kindling, papers etc. and sits on a plastic floor runner for easier cleaning.

Stove is less than 6' away to the picture takers right. The stacked wood is also a convenient platform to dry wet clothes/gloves/boots too.

savageactor7 said:
3157705472_cd05e7b5bf.jpg

YG this is a simple holder..it holds 3+ days of wood. Has room underneath for kindling, papers etc. and sits on a plastic floor runner for easier cleaning.

Stove is less than 6' away to the picture takers right. The stacked wood is also a convenient platform to dry wet clothes/gloves/boots too.

That's exactly what I need, but smaller in width and taller! 2 of them actually, one on each side of the stove...but I don't wanna pay more then $50. Maybe I'm just being cheap.

Well I don't think we paid more than $15 for what you see there. If you're handy I bet you could fabricate exactly what you what out of some pipe...if you had a pipe bender or press. There's not much to them...maybe 2 carriage bolts that fasten each leg to the horizontal wood supporter for a total of 8 carriage bolts.

As far as going higher goes ...I dunno. I suppose it could be made safe by lagging the top of the holder into a wall 2x4. Let us know how you make it work for you OK?

For storage on the front and back porch,,I have something similiar to whats pictured. The end pieces do not have a fixed tube which bolts to them like in the picture. The end pieces are welded onto a rectangular tube just bigger than a 2x4 and only about 3 inches long. You cut 2x4`s to what ever length you want the end pieces to be spaced, then they slide into the rectangular tubing. They serve as the bottom rail you stack wood on and will sit down onto the floor. Wont be able to get a drawer under the wood pile. There will be a board for the front and one for the rear, you will stack wood on. Hope thats clear enough,,got em at HD or Low**`s

Status
Not open for further replies.