Giant spruce for next season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RFarm

Oct 24, 2013
North Georgia Mountains
Hi guys,
My neighbor had a giant spruce tree dropped last fall. She is a widower and does not burn. She said I could cut it up and take it. I bucked it up last Saturday and was hoping to mo e the rounds out on Sunday. Things happened and the rounds never got moved. On top of that I had hernia surgery yesterday and will be sidelined for about six weeks. This will take me into mid April before I can get back to it. My question is what would be the best way to protect the rounds from decay if I choose to wait until next spring to split? Do you think the rounds will be dry enough to burn next season if I do not split them this spring? Some of the rounds are 30” plus in diameter and weigh nearly 65-80 lbs. I bucked them to 18” in length. Thanks.

If it's spruce, an axe will just bounce off it in my limited experience, the rounds should season a bit before attempting to split. If you have a mechanical splitter a different story. I would think you will have no rot problems in the time frame your expecting.

It takes longer than 2 months for spruce to show
any rot other than the bark

If you split them as soon as you can they'll probably be ready next winter if seasoned in a good area but don't rush things, my brother messed up a hernia operation by overdoing it too soon after. He was actually helping me load his truck with big huge oak rounds and I told him he was just there to drive but he couldn't just stand and watch.

Good of you to help your widow neighbor.
+1 on it not rotting in that timeframe.
But I think you'll find it more difficult to hand split spruce than you think.
I removed a dying spruce in my yard, and attempted to buck between the branch whorls but still ran into knots everywhere.
Ended up noodling everything. Wood processing area looked like a giant gerbil cage with foot deep excelsior.

Reactions: johneh and Diabel
Store it up off the ground with the top covered, that should easily keep it a year until next spring. Spruce normally drys quite fast, we usually split it once dry, it cracks apart better that way.