Gittin' Serious About 2011/12 Heating Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Stanley

Feeling the Heat
Dec 31, 2007
Southern ME
chickfarm.com
I'll be out of wood in a week, unless I can bring in some standing dead stuff. Hoping that NEVER happens again.

Attachments

• wood and skidder-sm.jpg
    wood and skidder-sm.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 441
It's not for lack of equipment :) Can I borrow that when you are done?

Ya, I know, it's ridiculous. It's kind of a clunky ole rig with power galore. Probably would come completely unraveled under any kind of commercial production demands like it was designed for. But, it has no leaks, starts and runs, winch pulls good and with me puttering around with it hopefully it'll last as long as I do. Probably longer :eek:hh:

Rick Stanley said:
I'll be out of wood in a week, unless I can bring in some standing dead stuff. Hoping that NEVER happens again.

Hardest winter I can remember sense 78......

smokinjay said:
Rick Stanley said:

Hardest winter I can remember sense 78......

this was a legit winter, this morning hooking up my snow plow I started getting de ja vu, i dont thing your supposed to plow your driveway as often as you mow your lawn, everything is whipped, I could a $1500 bill at Napa coming for a complete front end over haul in my 97 350, it will be fun in July though, more smow tonite

I'm ok for the rest of this year but the daffodils and some cherry blossoms are already starting to bloom here so my winter is close to over. I'm officially in the 'shoulder' season in NC.

That said, I never want to be just 'ok' again and I've been inspired by some of the woodpiles here to intensify my usual efforts this winter. With my new (to me) cat stove I'm figuring I'll need about 2 cords / winter from here on out. I currently have 3 stacked and another close to 2 split with 1 more in rounds waiting. I'll still be actively scrounging however as about half of this is oak cut this year so it'll be a couple years out. My goal is to have 6 cords c/s/s but I need to hurry because my vegetable gardens are starting to call.

Not the worst since 78 here this year as far as temps, Jay. Lotta seasonal temps, days in 20's, nights around 0. Used to be common to get a 2 week stretch of highs around zero +- and with 10-30 below at night. Haven't seen that in years. It's been a long winter tho, started getting cold in Nov and it's stayed cold. Still is cold.

But the snow fall is another matter, this year anyway. Like Diesel says, seems like I plow every day. But we've had a lot of storms, like everyone else, but few direct hits. Most have gone south of us delivering a glancing blow. They all hit the bronx head on :)

I hear ya, Woodpile, about being "ok" for wood. I've burned wood for years as kind of a side-gig to save a few bucks. I have three woodstoves in here. But last Winter was the 1st season I tried to heat entirely with wood and we only had half of a winter. We were mowing grass in April. Unheard of around here. So I guess I got lulled into a false sense of security last winter and am running out of wood this winter. Not a good feeling so ,like you, I wanna get some wood ahead this year. Oh, and as far as your flowers blooming and crap :mad:

Hey, you even have chains on that skidder. Looks good. I have a friend who uses one for gathering sap; that will happen soon too as maple syrup season is about upon us.

Status
Not open for further replies.