Give me a good reason

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osage

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2011
kansas
Give me some good reasons to replace my 30 yr old Earthstove 101 with a new "smaller" firebox,"more efficent?" wizbang stove.
The old 101 has some minor stress cracks but can heat our house even when the wind is blowing 40mph and 0deg. I keep looking at some of the new stoves and really like the looks of some. But spending a couple of grand and not see any return other than looks seems foolish. I heat totally with wood and burn about 3 cords of Hedge and Mulberry mix a season.
With the 101 I can put 3 large splits at a time. If I went with a smaller firebox I would have to split alot smaller.

bikerz said:
Give me some good reasons to replace my 30 yr old Earthstove 101 with a new "smaller" firebox,"more efficent?" wizbang stove.
The old 101 has some minor stress cracks but can heat our house even when the wind is blowing 40mph and 0deg. I keep looking at some of the new stoves and really like the looks of some. But spending a couple of grand and not see any return other than looks seems foolish. I heat totally with wood and burn about 3 cords of Hedge and Mulberry mix a season.
With the 101 I can put 3 large splits at a time. If I went with a smaller firebox I would have to split alot smaller.

That's not a good reason?

Stres Cracks,
Burn less wood,
Cleaner burn,
Oh and I can easily fit 3 large splits in my firebox, (what do you call large BTW)
Overnight burns

Any other reasons needed?

because you want to?

1) Burn less wood = more time or more money saved (depending on whether you process your own wood or buy it)
2) Long burn times = not getting up every 2 or 3 hours to load the stove . . . and not shutting down the stove to the point where it idles all night and just makes a lot of creosote
3) Burn less wood = more time or more money saved (depending on whether you process your own wood or buy it)
4) No cracks in the firebox
5) Burn less wood = more time or more money saved (depending on whether you process your own wood or buy it)
6) Cleaner burn = you feel better about the environment or at least feel a bit like a Black Ops Woodburner as few folks notice the smoke
7) Burn less wood = more time or more money saved (depending on whether you process your own wood or buy it)
8) View of the fire . . . if you do not have one . . . not sure if the Earthstove had a "glass" door or not . . . but new stoves have 'em . . . and the air wash works well
9) Burn less wood = more time or more money saved (depending on whether you process your own wood or buy it)

How big is the firebox on the Earthstove?

If you are happy with your stove why do you need reasons to buy a new one?

BrotherBart said:
If you are happy with your stove why do you need reasons to buy a new one?

Zactly. At 3 cords per year, its not like your wasting an entire wood lot. And I am not sure of the "Need" to go to a smaller firebox either. One reason that the old Earth stove can do the job is because it is fairly large. Why go smaller?

Have access to all the Mulberry and Hedge I can cut. As far as the firebox size I'm guessing around 4 cu ft. I would like to be able to see the fire. And as to the stress cracks there is one at the door corner that is about the width of a piece of paper. Also I do not have to load it every couple of hrs. I can get a 10 hr burn if I close it down.

If you decide to get a new one be sure and be prepared to season (dry) your wood first, them new stoves demand wood to be dry real dry. Sometimes I miss my old Timberline, read some of these post on wood then give yourself plenty of time to get your eood ready, especially since wood is your only source of heat.

Good Luck and welcome

Well, I'm about three weeks ahead of you in confronting this very same question. My new stove was installed last Saturday.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/83918/

Like you, I had a series 100 Earth Stove which I used for years as my primary heat source. I won't belabor the excellent reasons that others have already given here, other than to add that my new Blaze King produces a long-burning, even heat, with no drama.

My comment to my wife while stoking a fresh fire this afternoon after returning from a few days away hunting was "next to my Harley, I think this is the best thing I've ever bought."

FWIW, just like the other folks posted - lots of good reasons. My Englander 30-NCH will take easily 8 splits, 4 across the bottom and 4 on top. I can go higher and pack-in more if I want loading N/S.

My Englander on "legs", black with the minimal gold trim and huge door glass is a pretty nice looking stove. I also got it for about $680ish with tax shipped to my door from Home Depot. I imagine the price is up to $1,100ish now, but still a great buy. And for those reasons alone - plus the ones the other mentioned and you can get a nice stove without busting your wallet.

Good luck,
Bill

bikerz said:
Have access to all the Mulberry and Hedge I can cut. As far as the firebox size I'm guessing around 4 cu ft. I would like to be able to see the fire. And as to the stress cracks there is one at the door corner that is about the width of a piece of paper. Also I do not have to load it every couple of hrs. I can get a 10 hr burn if I close it down.

Okay - after mulling this for a bit - you being used to a 4 cuft box is still gonna put you into a 3+ cuft box, just to keep the same burn times you are looking at. There are a quite a few stoves that would fit the bill, so I ain't gonna touch "brands", at least at this time. Good on ya for wanting to step up to an EPA stove. It will burn cleaner, use less wood, blah, blah, blah and all that crap you have read 20 times already. Your wood consumption will probably drop to 1.5-2.0 cords per year (gawd, I wish I could do that).

Just for the record, the cracks could probably be fixed for small bucks, but I understand the argument.

SO...what we buy'in???

Back in 2006 we started looking at replacing our old Ashley stove. Sure, we could have continued using it but were tired of burning so much wood and not staying warm enough. Plus there was the constant chimney cleaning with that beast and although it did not take long for the cleaning, it had to be done several times per season. So we looked and looked and looked a bit more. Finally bought a stove....that had a smaller firebox. For sure we questioned ourselves many times if we did the right thing, especially when we saw in person the stove we were to buy. I laughed at first wondering how on earth anyone would heat a whole house with that little thing.

Fast forward to September 2007 when we installed that little stove. It sure was beautiful but so small... End result though was more than we could have asked for. Bottom line is that we suddenly burned only about half the amount of wood we did with the old stove and the house was a whole lot warmer; even the floors. So, we did give up some firebox size but ended up being warmer and that is the result we wanted. We've smiled ever since.

The old Earth stoves were wonderful when they came out and I knew a few folks who had them and they all loved them and rightly so. However, the newer stoves are just so much better and using less wood is great too.

Umm, cause you really want one and can?

A stove is not like a computer, needing a new one every few years just to keep up.
But in 30 years the technology, cleaner burning (less pollution), & efficiencies have improved quit a bit.
If it's in the budget, I think an upgrade is due. Maybe not tomorrow, but when you can.
If you want & can afford a new stove, go for it.
Doing something that makes you feel good in life is needed every now & then, , I could think of worse thing to spend your hard earned money on.
Who knows, you may replace the new stove (if you get one) 30 years from now. :) (It definitely will out last your computer & car)
Remember there may be some federal tax credits out there when improving efficiencies on some appliances ;)
Since you brought the subject up, we already know which direction you are leaning, :)

Why not go pro/con

Pros for new stove
- more efficient burn means less wood used
- better for the environment
- safer for your home than outdated stove with stress cracks
- better view of fire

Cons for new stove
- large investment of money (can snowball too - get new stove, need new pipe/liner etc)
- wood has to be much dryer
- learning curve with new stove

ETA, if money is your biggest stumbling block, then check out the ENglander 30 that so many folks on here have and love. It's got good size and burn times and has a super price point. If money isn;t the big issue anyway, then I bet you would want the Blaze King which so many others on here have and love too.

You don't need us to give you a good reason. It is your home, your heat, your money. If you want one, get it. If your happy with the Earth stove, use it. I myself enjoy the reduction in wood usage, and yes the view.

Thanks for all the input! I know that the new epa stoves need good draft. The old Earth stove has a 8" flu, if I buy a new one that has a 6" flu would I be okay in reducing from 8 to 6 at the insulated pipe joint at the ceiling?

bikerz said:
Thanks for all the input! I know that the new epa stoves need good draft. The old Earth stove has a 8" flu, if I buy a new one that has a 6" flu would I be okay in reducing from 8 to 6 at the insulated pipe joint at the ceiling?

Probably not... Most MFG would not recommend it. It may affect the performance, draft etc... If you are venting into an existing masonry chimney you can put a 6" liner. I'll let others jump in.

Some have done it with success so maybe it all depends on the surroundings, fuel, operator, Mother Nature, etc, etc.

Remember that the new EPA stoves operate a little differently than the "smoke dragons"

It's like going from downhill skiing to snowboarding, same basic objective but different techniques.

Follow the directions and you'll learn to 'drive" the new stove efficiently.

The new stoves are so much more efficient. They put more heat into the house & less up the stack.
The exhaust gasses get burned & the stack temps are cooler & you'll have less draft with a cooler chimney.
With less draft you need tight stove pipe joints & chimney.
One problem I had was the old style single wall stove pipe cooling more & some let air leaks & cooling the pipe which reduced the draft.
Then I went with double wall pipe to help keep the pipe warmer & maintain a good draft on low burns. But
I had some air leaks on it too which I sealed & finally got a system that works with a new cat stove.
On medium to low burn, I can lay my hand on the stove pipe, "heat in the house not up the stack " :)

My point? a good tight system is important for proper operation of the new stoves.
Manufacturers test their stoves & develop the proper pipe sizes & flue design for optimum performance & safety.
If you vary from their recommendations, your performance may suffer.

bikerz said:

Possible, or possibly not. It depends. Can you describe the entire flue system in detail?

Status
Not open for further replies.