Giving the Castine the test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostbit

Feeling the Heat
Aug 4, 2008
Northwest Arctic Alaska
Actually, its doing just swell..

Minus 37 this morning, yesterday morning minus 35. Its minus 28 now tonight, no doubt at least 35 below by morning. This is the coldest straight temps (no wind chill) we have had here in Nome in 10 years, according to the weather man.

I'm certainly filling the little firebox more often, but the house is toasty. It's at least 75 here in the living room tonight. Just reloaded full, its charring with about 3/4 air (Euro plate), and I'll leave it open a tick before I plug in the trucks and head off to bed.

Stay warm, all.

That's impressive. The house must be exceptionally tight. Does the stove have outside air or no?

The house is fairly tight, though its 25 years old. I am always in mode for limiting air leaks.

No outside air, but I have contemplated it.

Sounds like the stove is working out great for you. All this warm weather we are having down here makes you forget about others further north who are still in full bore winter.

House is 1280 square feet, single level ranch. I use a fan in the back of the house to push cooler air down the hallway to the open front living/kitchen room where the stove is located. It all seems to work well for me. The only one that doesn't like it is the oil delivery man.

Oh well u can't please everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.