Giving up on pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people just shouldn't own boats
...your right;lol image.jpeg

Looks like something the Finns put together to get out of a sauna.

Reactions: FirepotPete
79 posts and the OP hasn't logged on since he posted the original message......
With a total of 6 posts the OP never really got past asking where to get parts for an extinct stove.

Reactions: bogieb
It seems that pellet fireplace inserts act more like a space heater, only heating one room for the most part. As oppoosed to a free standing pellet stove. My serenity ps, which is a free standing stove heats my entire 1,500 square foot house. Maybe im wrong about inserts.
What say you?

All pellet stoves are space heaters, whether an insert or free-standing. I think how it heats your space has far more to do with how open your floor plan is, versus insert versus free standing. My floor plan is very open...right up to having an open staircase to the second floor from the family room (where the pellet stove is located). If I had a more closed off floor plan, where the heat from the stove would get mostly trapped in that one room, I probably wouldn't even own a pellet stove.

Reactions: rich2500
Sorry If I offended anyone. I still change the oil, rotate the tires and do my breaks on my car and my wife's. I don't have the time to, take my car, wait for them to get done and drive home for something that takes 15 minutes.

I have the time to do it right. I have heard of so many screw ups on oil changes etc. Have a good mechanic close and will valet if need be.
I have a sports car that I got from a friend that had to have a complete rebuild as they had a lot monkey change the oil(dealer charges double or better) and failed to put oil back in before driving out of shop. Over 3k job and dealer wanted to get another engine of unknown history to replace. Had to go to court to get the $$$$. Judge didn't even blink at making dealer pay as all the vehicles service work had been done and recorded(at a premium) from dealers shop.

Reactions: vinny11950
I hear you. Blown turbo here. What I was getting at was, tending to the stove requires some attention. More then some imagine. Its a chore. and you either do it, or hate it.

I don't know what the hell this is but I want one.:eek:
Not far off a snorkel hot tub ... same concept but someone must have had an old boat around;lol https://snorkel.com/hot-tub-info/snorkel-and-scuba-stoves.php

Our pellet stove has proved more reliable than the Outdoor Wood Boiler or the oil-fired hot water radiant heat. Our heating oil would freeze up in the line when we got the usual -40 to -50 below around Christmas. We had to use magnet block heaters to keep things flowing. Cost for heating fuel and electric heat would not be as economical. But, can't please all the people all the time.

Our heating oil would freeze up in the line when we got the usual -40 to -50 below around Christmas
-40 to -50.!!!

Our old farm house had to have a tank in the basement and would then lift to another to feed a Jungers oil stove to prevent such issues. Can remember a time when the propane would not gas and was a real bear for heat for a while huddling around the Jungers in the kitchen.

Our heating oil would freeze up in the line when we got the usual -40 to -50 below around Christmas
-40 to -50.!!!

I remember the oil "gelling" several times at my old place - don't miss that as I'm sure that last winter that would have been an issue.

-40 to -50.!!!
Usually have about two weeks of that kind of temp ... not this year which is a nice change==c

Usually have about two weeks of that kind of temp ... not this year which is a nice change==c
I wouldn't temp fate, it's only the 26th of December. It has dropped over 20 degrees here so far today. I have to drive to Fargo Monday morning. Glad the car is in a garage and has good synthetic oil.

Didn't say winter was over but it has been warmer than usual up until now...

It was so cold one time in the early '80's that the flame in the Jungers froze in mid air. :eek:
Probably got stopped by a little Arizona Cardinal

Probably got stopped by a little Arizona Cardinal

No, that flame was totally blown out! At least the Pack doesn't have the curse of Ed Thorpe hanging over their horns. :)

Sitting in the middle of the big storm right now. 61mph wind gusts just down the road from us. Snow blowing nothing but sideways here. Old 6039 at mid range, keeps the drafts warmer!

Reactions: bogieb and rich2500
Will see how much cheese I will have to eat come next weekend. Two of the biggest blowout games were of the two teams meeting up next weekend.
The ugly weather went south of me by over hundred miles. was really looking for another half foot of snow to cover the snirt.

Will see how much cheese I will have to eat come next weekend. Two of the biggest blowout games were of the two teams meeting up next weekend.
The ugly weather went south of me by over hundred miles. was really looking for another half foot of snow to cover the snirt.

Ya on the game, I wouldn't bet either way and I sure won't bet either to go to far in the playoffs although I think the Vikes are rolling at the right time, just not enough experience yet. Pack are on the down side IMO, a lot of turmoil not being reported but I know a few people in the org and they've been whispering since last year.

I've been shoveling and snowthrowing since 04:30, officially 13.8". One snowthrower that is only a couple of years old had a complete workover this summer, all ready to go! NOT!! While I've had it running off and on the last few weeks, this A.M I got it going and was working fine and then started running funny. Found a leak on the primer bulb, push it and gas came out, while running was sucking air. Got out my older thrower that didn't get a total tuneup this last season, 1 pull and has been a savior. This is real weird snow, not packy but heavy.

Opps, enough of untracking the post. Sorry.

Ya on the game, I wouldn't bet either way and I sure won't bet either to go to far in the playoffs although I think the Vikes are rolling at the right time, just not enough experience yet. Pack are on the down side IMO, a lot of turmoil not being reported but I know a few people in the org and they've been whispering since last year.

I've been shoveling and snowthrowing since 04:30, officially 13.8". One snowthrower that is only a couple of years old had a complete workover this summer, all ready to go! NOT!! While I've had it running off and on the last few weeks, this A.M I got it going and was working fine and then started running funny. Found a leak on the primer bulb, push it and gas came out, while running was sucking air. Got out my older thrower that didn't get a total tuneup this last season, 1 pull and has been a savior. This is real weird snow, not packy but heavy.

Opps, enough of untracking the post. Sorry.
Not to far off subject. I started the detour.
More snow means more cold, more cold means more stoves needing to be used, more stoves needing to used means more traffic to site.:)

Reactions: FirepotPete
Actually - more snow means more insulation around the outside of the house and lessens the heat load. That's what I seem to experience anyway - even with my sill area insulated on the inside.

I still don't want too much of the stuff though - last winter was a nightmare from mid-January to about the end of April. This winter is starting out somewhat the same, here. Not a good sign....

I try and blow some snow up around the house and it really helps the garage with some exposed slab that I get covered with some leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.