1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

glad I covered my wood stacks!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Nutmeg Warrior, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Nutmeg Warrior

Nutmeg Warrior New Member

Loc:
    CT
    We've had so much rain lately. I was debating whether or not to cover the stacks, but I think I made the right choice. I know a lot of people say that rain doesn't matter so early in the game, but I have to believe that this relentless rain really sets back the seasoning process.
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I am waiting for somebody to do an official test. One tree cut and split. Half of the stack covered, the other not. Test moisture after a 12/18/24 month period. I would really be interested in the outcome (but not interested enough to do the test myself ;lol)
  3. Nutmeg Warrior

Loc:
    CT
    Once I am ahead by a few years I won't worry about it. This year however I need to be as efficient as possible. I don't think I can afford several inches of rain.
  4. USMC80

USMC80 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    We are still getting some rain here, plenty of it lately. I thought of it but didnt cover them. A couple days in the wind and sun and they seem to lighten right back up. Who knows though
    zap likes this.
  5. blujacket

blujacket Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Carrollton,Ohio
    I only cover wood for the coming burn season in the Fall. Wood has always been dry and seasoned fine after 2 years in the open.
    PapaDave and ScotO like this.
  6. Nutmeg Warrior

Loc:
    CT
    I believe it. Unfortunately this year for me, 7 or 8 months seasoned will have to be enough.
  7. blujacket

blujacket Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Carrollton,Ohio

Ouch. Hopefully you split small and it's not Oak.
    PapaDave likes this.
  8. Nutmeg Warrior

Loc:
    CT
    Yes, and it's soft maple.
    PapaDave and ScotO like this.
  9. Applesister

Applesister Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    If you have 25 cords of wood...and I mean 75 facecords, by virtue of probability, there has to be some dry wood in the mix. But when you only have 2 cords its more critical to err on the covered side.
    Like the religious zelots preaching life after death. I think I will choose to be conservative in my everlasting plans.

Plus New Zealand is ALOT different than Arizona.
  10. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I agree with the OP.
    Covering before it gets rained on is helpful.

Wood type & location are important too.
    Here , birch will get punky if not split in about a year,
    if split & stacked it dries reasonably well in a year but if left uncovered for a few years the splits
    get punky.

Spruce seem to last a long time uncovered, in logs or rounds or splits.
    Off the ground is all it needs. But is more subject to bugs.
  11. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Should be pretty good, covered or not, but I'm covering the soft Maple that I hope to burn next season...
    OK, I'll cover my wood then. ==c
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Soft maple should be good to go.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We normally have our wood split and stacked by early April. Last year I was late for sure and this year will end up even worse. The wood is split but still sets there in a pile. We have had a lot more rain this year than last too so it might be interesting to see what the wood is like when I finally get around to splitting it. But in the past when being late I never could notice any difference. Still, weighing some would answer a few questions a bit more exact.
  14. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Ya, the only wood covered for me is the 2 cord I will burn next month. The rest- I may cover some a month or so before indoor heating season
  15. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I used to leave my stacks uncovered, but it seems in the fall anymore, we get hammered RELENTLESSLY with rain. Now, I'm not so sure that the wood gets saturated so bad, but the bark on the wood gets soaked, for sure. For the past several years (ever since I've been three years C/S/S), I've been top-covering only the stacks that I plan on burning in a given season, and I do the top-covering in August before the autumn monsoons arrive. Recently I acquired a pile of used rubber roofing material, and that stuff, being black, seems to spike up the temperature of the stack. I've got enough to top-cover my entire 25 cord, so I plan on doing so once I get the 6-7 cord I have gotten this spring split and stacked. Maybe that hot summer sun baking that black rubber roofing material will help with the drying process. I will say this, ever since I've been top-covering, my wood burns much better and is WAY less buggy than before.

A lot of that has to do with your geography and climate, though. The way I see it, it doesn't hurt to top cover. Just don't cover the sides as well......ONLY THE TOP!!
  16. Augie

Augie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Of Canada

BS, If done correctly tented Oak will be ready in a summer...... Donning Flamesuit

I have a white paper to back me up...lol
  17. Nutmeg Warrior

Loc:
    CT
    I'm only covering the top. I've got plastic stapled to pallets that are resting on top of the stacks. So there is nice airflow. I'm constantly on the lookout for something better like rubber roofing though.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  18. Boom Stick

Boom Stick Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    I make sure my stacks for upcoming season are covered but my main goal in stacking wood is elevating it off of the ground. Also, I tend to stack by species as that is how I get my wood so I will cover my pallets of oak.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  19. Grisu

Grisu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chittenden, VT
    Not really scientific but in my experience covering helps. I had a row of split ash uncovered for one year. After a lot of spring rain I decided to cover the stack but the tarp I was using fell short by 3 ft. When putting the wood under the porch in the fall the uncovered splits seemed heavier and more moist than the covered ones. I therefore split some of both to check them with my MM. The covered ones came in at ~15%, the uncovered ~20 to 25%. Since then I cover all my stacks. If I would have enough room for keeping stacks for several years I may not bother but my wood has to be dry in two. In addition, I have now a lot of pine which certainly needs to be covered. That stuff is like a sponge when sitting in the rain.
  20. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Yeah we don't really want the answer. Its too fun debating about it;lol
    Seanm likes this.
  21. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Oh and leave them uncovered, rain won't hurt;)
  22. ChadD

ChadD Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I was thinking the same thing nutmeg unfortunately I didn't cover mine. I have 5 inches of rain in my rain gauge since Friday!
  23. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Ram 1500 with an axe... Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Yes but it is only June, don't you think you need the hot sun of July and August to bake them off and then cover them? I split some black locust a few weeks ago, the ones the were in the sun turned a reddish color, while the bottom sides were still yellowish in color. I think we need to give the sun alittle more credit. This is only my observation, I'm certainly no expert but I definitely see the wood in the sun drying out, my maple is starting to turn bone white...
  24. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    I always cover my wood
    ScotO likes this.
  25. ScotO

ScotO Guest

check around your local area for any demolition/building salvage companies. That's where I found my roofing. it was all reclaimed rubber roofing, each piece was 6 1/2' x 32', got them for 10 bucks a piece!