Glad I did not dump these MWP pellets directly into the hopper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My vote is also on a bit of water damage. Possibly a hiccup at the plant.

I think you'd have to beat the crap out of a bag of pellets to get them to break down like that, and unless you were beating it with a sack of oranges, the bag would show it.

See if the bag smells like oranges.

This came out of a bag a "premium pellets", and when I contacted the pellet company the production manager knew exactly what it was and where it came from. But I suppose hermit hoss would think that had been staged as well.
View attachment 125462

Wow! Makes me think twice about dumping in a bag of pellets in the hopper. What are we supposed to do, examine the entire bag prior to dumping into the hopper? A big ol clump of something would likely clog up the auger. I use FIreside Ultra and I am always impressed that the empty bag looks Very Clean indeed!

My vote is also on a bit of water damage. Possibly a hiccup at the plant.

I think you'd have to beat the crap out of a bag of pellets to get them to break down like that, and unless you were beating it with a sack of oranges, the bag would show it.

See if the bag smells like oranges.

Has to be a hiccup at plant as I have sen H20 damage and it the pellets in the bag were not beat to pcs abut in fact normal length and had a shiny surface and were not puffed up as would be from h20 damage.
The bags are not beat either so must be a hiccup I imagine.
I double checked the web site and they do still show that bag.

Wow! Makes me think twice about dumping in a bag of pellets in the hopper. What are we supposed to do, examine the entire bag prior to dumping into the hopper? A big ol clump of something would likely clog up the auger. I use FIreside Ultra and I am always impressed that the empty bag looks Very Clean indeed!
Funny you should say that. That's what happened on the coldest night of the year so far! Jammed the pellet feeder door so badly it still squeals occasionally even after taking the whole thing apart and vacuuming it top and bottom. The company offered to make it right, but I just wanted them aware of the finding. Apparently a faulty die which was replaced about 7 months ago and another issue.

What are we supposed to do, examine the entire bag prior to dumping into the hopper?
Pour slowly and watch. Less dust, better chance of catching problems within a bag (clumps, screws, keys, etc), and maybe 15 seconds more per bag. Unless you sift, pretty much your only defense.

Reactions: P38X2
It's not the most fashionable looking but we have a big dark brown Rubbermaid trash barrel that will hold 4 bags of pellets. I dump a bag at a time in checking for anything out of the ordinary. Use a feed scoop to fill the hopper. Again not pretty but lets me see just what I'm putting in.

Sam

Sam, please tell us what you've found over the years by resorting to this.

I fine it unbelievable that with all the trees in Maine a better product can not be had! Ive been burning for quite some time tried ALL the Maine brands are no better than OK for just a little more a lot better product can be had else where ! Being from the Pine Tree State I'm disappointed in the quality of Maine pellets !

I fine it unbelievable that with all the trees in Maine a better product can not be had! Ive been burning for quite some time tried ALL the Maine brands are no better than OK for just a little more a lot better product can be had else where ! Being from the Pine Tree State I'm disappointed in the quality of Maine pellets !
Maybe all that cold you folks have just sort of settles into the trees. :)

The Pellets burned good but a bit ashy ,
Its just as if the sifter thing or dust separator failed and all the dust and fines never sifted out and were bagged along with the pellets.
I just had another bag which I had to bring outside and wear a dusk mask to sift out the good pellets as the dust was bad.
I have burned pellets sitting in my basement for two years and no issues with dust etc. (I do run a dehumidifier in the muggy summer weather)

These were just a dust and fine mess up I guess. and they are not water damaged as the solid pieces are not puffed up or sawdust.

Status
Not open for further replies.