1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Glad I didn't clean the stove out yet!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by rdust, May 10, 2013.

1. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I "thought" I was done but mother nature wants to hit us with a few more days of cool weather. Looks like the stove will do some work through Tuesday with 50's for the highs and 30's/40's for the lows. Just brought a wheelbarrow load of cherry into the garage. :)
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Was thinking the same thing as they are calling for frost Sun and Monday nights here. Probably won't really need any heat, but will probably fire both nights just to finish off the wood next to the stove. Planning on remodeling the stove room this summer, so anything that isn't burned will have to be hauled out anyway.
    ScotO likes this.
  3. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Burning a small load here as we speak. 42 windy & drizzle. Great May day. Oh well. A C
    Backwoods Savage and ScotO like this.
  4. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    I had snow a couple of days this week. Maybe by the end of May I can shut things down.
    ScotO likes this.
  5. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Just lit one. Had trouble finding a lighter. Ended up lighting a propane torch off the kitchen stove ;)
    ScotO likes this.
  6. Oldhippie

Oldhippie Minister of Fire

In New England they are talking frost for a couple days this week, but today I was out riding the Harley in a T shirt. :cool:
    ScotO likes this.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Looks like I'll be bringing a load in on Sunday. I'm sure Mrs. "pee for blood" Overkill will most certainly want the fireplace fired up......
    With lows in the low 30's predicted for several nights early next week, we'll need something to keep the chill at bay overnight.
    Backwoods Savage and Oldhippie like this.
  8. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Meh. With the temps being what they are during the day, the thermal mass of the house is sufficient to keep the house pretty cozy. Have had a few small fires to keep the Mrs. from complaining and to test out some wood, but hitting 32 around 4am isn't going to impact the inside temp too much.
  9. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    40 outside and 64 inside the stove just got lit. If my wife was home it would've been lit a long time ago. ;lol My house gets very little solar gain so days in the 50's I need to light the stove or run the furnace to knock the chill out.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  10. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    On the ride out here tonight the weather guy mentioned the "s" word. Temps just below freezing this weekend. Looking at the start of a nice fire as I type this....
  11. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    Yeah, after the warmest and driest start to May on record here (82 today), I was about to try out the new SootEater today, but I think nature is going to give us a reality check starting Sunday for a while. Nice, though, I actually put up 1-1/2 cords in the last few days.
    Oldhippie likes this.
  12. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I clean the stove out in August.
    PapaDave likes this.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Good to see another post from you A C. It's been a long time.
  14. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Hey rdust, I just came in from splitting some wood. Wife has a fire going and it feels good. I too brought a little bit of wood to the porch.
  15. loon

loon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    ont canada
    Mrs loon is out golfing right now !!!

She can crack a window when she gets home..

Pretty friggen chilly in the house right now ::-)

[​IMG]
  16. DevilsBrew

DevilsBrew Minister of Fire

This weekend is a total washout. Lows in the 30s. Great looking picture there, Loon. Love it.
    loon likes this.
  17. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Well, we had a fire yesterday afternoon. Built another one this morning and it has been going all day. Temperature continues to fall. This may not turn out very well at all with all the fruit in blossom.
    loon likes this.
  18. loon

loon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    ont canada
    Same here Sav :p Out weedwhacking all day but taking quite a few warm breaks here by the stove ::-)

Supposed to warm up this week? and will wait till the weekend for planting..

loon
  19. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Hey loon, it will be a bit before I get the weed whacker out. I see we are to warm up again too but it will be short lived or at least that is the forecast.
  20. loon

loon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    ont canada

Calling for 70f by the weekend so 'should' be good to go here with the planting..

Calling for 34f tonight though :p ;)
  21. lopiliberty

lopiliberty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    You are very lucky!! I have to mow every three days and the hill gets mowed every two weeks and its all done by hand and as you have probably seen in my previous pictures its a large yard. I am a crazed idiot when it comes to my lawn. It has to be perfect.
  22. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Yeah not good at all, my apple trees are in full bloom right now. I thought I'd have apples this year but thinking it may not work out(again). :(
  23. TX-L

TX-L Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Tug Hill State Forest, NY
    Snow here this morning. I started a fire on Friday evening, feels good.
  24. Stubborn Dutchman

Stubborn Dutchman Member

Loc:
    Southern Michigan
    I was getting lazy after finishing up all the wood I'd brought up to the farmhouse. I let the oil furnace run for a day but hearing the thing kick on too often brought me back to my senses. I filled up the indoor woodrack yesterday and that should get me thru this nonsense. I had read BS comment about waiting until end of May and realize how right the old master is for us Michigan folks! Boy that Jotul doing her thing sure feels great! Plus seeing the oil tank gauge sitting at 7/8ths. full for the last two years makes me happy. Now if the apple trees and strawberry plants can survive this mess!
  25. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Beautiful last week (man, that was a short Spring / Summer !!! - this weekend was winter all over again). Driving home yesterday...

May_12_2013.jpg
    Backwoods Savage and loon like this.