Glad to have my power back!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

certified106

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2010
Athens, Ohio
We left on vacation for a week and the same day we arrived home (friday) our electric was knocked out by the storms that rolled through Ohio. The power ended up coming back on 9 days later and I can tell you this much I am glad I'm not Amish!!

I have so many trees down from the wind it's actually depressing to walk through my woods at this point since they are such a mess. Tree tops broke off everywhere and a bunch of trees hung up on each other. After the storm blew through I had to cut two trees up just to get down the driveway. After I got to the road the neighbor and I spent another 3 hours cutting up the trees on the road so we could get out to the main highway. Then by Sunday we were getting used to running the generator and thinking well it's not that bad.........Then the water shut off. Wow it was 7 days of hell after that.

Was anyone else on here affected by the storms?

Wow. Just got it back! We were there, at Old Man's Cave. I've never been in the woods with a storm like that. Pretty scary with trees and limbs falling all over. Was a scramble to get out in the open, and then we couldn't get back up the road to the campground, because a couple of trees fell over the road. Had to go in the back door.

We planned on leaving Saturday anyway, so we packed everything up before it hit. Instead of having breakfast, we hooked up and left in the morning, figuring on grabbing something in town on the way out. Wrong. Didn't find anything open until we got to Columbus, and then everything was PACKED. Apparently, you can't eat at home if you have no power

Glad everything is okay there. I actually wondered about you. I know we weren't far from Athens.

Glad you got your power back on. Its funny how many times you will flip the light switch on...
You sure find out how much you owe Mr. Tesla for AC power when your dont have it anymore...ha
Hate to hear that you lost so many trees. Takes a long time to grow them and they can go so quickly.
Harvest what ya can...

Having a backup plan & being prepared sure makes a big difference.
BrotherBart's:"the good old days weren't". Gains more meaning.
I read that many shelters were full of folks who couldn't live with out electricity. AC, water, lights etc.

Just think what might happen if something major hit in a cold winter.
Nice knowing folks here are well prepared. We might be "inconvenienced" , but will get thru most events just fine :)

The question "is there sound, if a tree falls & no one is around to her it ? " has become "if a tree falls, is there electricity"
Population growth & technology. ;)

But no water & indoor plumbing:eek:

Seeing those lights where you forgot and flipped the switch come back on is a great feeling. That and a hot shower when you are on a well like we are.

Glad your back on the grid.

Our power went out at 3:40 am Thursday. We've had power now since around noon Sunday. Like Dave stated, it is nice to be prepared. Got the generator out when I got up that morning to keep freezers and refrigerator going. Ran the water pump only occasionally. We have two air conditioners but ran only one and the house stayed nice even with the extreme heat. We also took the car over to the widow's home across the road and brought her and her freezer food over to our house. I worried about her in the 100 degree heat and humidity. She is now doing just fine.

For the forth time in 12 days we just got hit again in the area. Just north of us and in D.C. around seven thousand are out of power again just after they had gotten it back after a week out. Two and more inches or rain and wind. We didn't get hit this time.

Lancaster, Ohio some areas out 4-5 days some 9 days
me 2 hours,
lots of branches, no trees this time
fired up the generator, got everything running, power came back on
put everything back away

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Wow. Just got it back! We were there, at Old Man's Cave. I've never been in the woods with a storm like that. Pretty scary with trees and limbs falling all over. Was a scramble to get out in the open, and then we couldn't get back up the road to the campground, because a couple of trees fell over the road. Had to go in the back door.

We planned on leaving Saturday anyway, so we packed everything up before it hit. Instead of having breakfast, we hooked up and left in the morning, figuring on grabbing something in town on the way out. Wrong. Didn't find anything open until we got to Columbus, and then everything was PACKED. Apparently, you can't eat at home if you have no power

Glad everything is okay there. I actually wondered about you. I know we weren't far from Athens.

Sorry your trip got messed up I forgot you were down here camping during that storm. Next time you are at Old Mans Cave let me know I will swing up there and say hi for a few minutes. I am glad you all made it out safe and sound and hope you were able to enjoy most of your trip. One thing I did learn is that some people get really stupid during a time of crisis. Alot of people didn't have generators and were trying to keep from opening up refrigerators and freezers in hopes the power would come back on before their food got warm.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Having a backup plan & being prepared sure makes a big difference.
BrotherBart's:"the good old days weren't". Gains more meaning.
I read that many shelters were full of folks who couldn't live with out electricity. AC, water, lights etc.

Just think what might happen if something major hit in a cold winter.
Nice knowing folks here are well prepared. We might be "inconvenienced" , but will get thru most events just fine :)

The question "is there sound, if a tree falls & no one is around to her it ? " has become "if a tree falls, is there electricity"
Population growth & technology. ;)

But no water & indoor plumbing:eek:

Where we live we are pretty well prepared for a loss of power considering we lose it pretty frequently for short periods of time. This was by far the longest my wife and I have been without power and the loss of power wasn't really that bad until we lost all water pressure. We definitely weren't prepared for that and it was actually the first time we have lost water pressure. It's pretty miserable when you are hauling water from a a creek to flush your toilet lol.

We just have a 3000 watt generator that we use to power the freezer and the fridge and only run it about 6 hours a day. I invested about a year ago in a tiny 2 stroke generator that is about 5 amps and we run it at night for a fan or two in hot weather and to run lights if they are needed. The gas saving alone from running the small one for fans paid for it this time around.

It amazes me that some people around here are just completely unprepared for any kind of emergency at all and lack the resources to even cook a meal without electricity. I heard a bunch of people were acting ridiculous in the grocery store by the following morning when it opened up but the real problem was finding gas to run a generator. It was days before there were any gas stations opened other than one station for probably a 40 mile radius of our house. That one gas station that was open had a wait of about 6-8hours for gasoline and they were rationing it to 10 gallons per person for a little over 36 hours. I didn't even worry about finding gas considering both of my cars were full and I figured if I ran through the 15 gallons I had on hand I would just siphon it from one of the cars.

Wow, that's a rotten homecoming certified. Doing without water sucks. I'll bet the first thing you did was take a long shower. Good to have you back. I hope the rest of th summer is less eventful.

Next time we're there, we're coming to find you and making you cook

I sure am glad I filled up the gas tank earlier that day. It was pretty much insanity until north of Findlay. We gave up trying to find something for breakfast, and just pulled over and made sandwiches.

My route takes me from Findlay to Van Wert twice a week. I always take I75 to US30, but I had to make an extra stop today and ran two lane roads over. The damage is amazing, and knowing it went all the way to the east coast is just unimaginable.

I haven't tried siphoning from a car tank lately, but they say it's hard to do. Maybe I'll try at some point just to know if it's still possible.

I haven't tried siphoning from a car tank lately, but they say it's hard to do. Maybe I'll try at some point just to know if it's still possible.

Think stiff thin hose......It is possible and it is also still possible to end up with a mouth full of gasoline! Don't ask how I know :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.