Glass Broke; where do I buy replacement glass? I live in Newtown, PA (lower Bucks County)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewtownPA

Feb 15, 2007
Newtown, PA
I have an Avalon wood stove, model - "Rainier". Unfortunately I accidently cracked the glass and I need to replace it.

Do any of you know of a good place near Oxford Valley Mall or in the vicinity of Newtown Pennsylvania (lower Bucks County) where I can get this glass?

Also how much should I pay for the glass (10 inches X 17 inches, with curved upper and lower sides)

The stove and glass look like this:
http://www.avalonstoves.com/Assets/product_images/rainierferryfs_sm.jpg

Thank you!

-Nathan

Did you call your local Avalon dealer ? What did they say ?

I didn't call anyone yet. I'm relatively new to the area and this stove came with the house. I've never had a wood stove before. All I know is that I need ceramic glass or something. I did visit Avalon's web site and I saw a link to one place in the area but I have not called them yet.

The local dealer is a good place to start , your have to get glass made for a wood stove and not just any glass. Give the local dealer a call to get a delivery time and price.

There are also "on line" sales of wood stove glass that you could look up. Its kinda unlikely the local glass shop does wood stove glass.

BTW: Welcome to the forum.

The "glass" in the stove is actually a high temperature ceramic. Talk to the stove manufacturer first, and if you can't get something from them I have a few contacts for clear ceramic products I should be able to dig up here at work.

if you could get it genericly cut, it would be about $115, if you order the factory replacement, its probably double that. Is it arched?
that glass goes for about .80/sq in if cut square, arches cost more.

Curved top & bottom. It's not the cheapest piece of glass. A piece of Etched glass for that model is 102 plus shipping. So I would venture to say that a clear piece would be in the 80-100 dollar range.

yes it is, breaking the glass is a mistake people usally make once.
Call a glass shop and get a quote. Make SURE you specify ceramic glass, NOT tempered.

the 3/16 ceramic is what you want.
They seem super super cheap. 14x10 is only 38 bucks. i think it would be worth a shot.
BUT, your glass is curved. you better give them a call.

quote author="MountainStoveGuy" date="1171678723"]the 3/16 ceramic is what you want.
They seem super super cheap. 14x10 is only 38 bucks. i think it would be worth a shot.
BUT, your glass is curved. you better give them a call.[/quote]

I checked and my glass is actually 10 inches X 17 inches (I thought it was 14, but it's really 17)

Yeah I can call them. I think it said $55 for the 10X17. I'll have to specify exactly what the arched piece looks like - it's arched on top and bottom. They do charge something like $20 shipping though.

i would start callin avalon dealers all over the place. Someone will have it in stock. Since its curved, i dont think your going to get away with a generic place unless you send them a template. And if they do it wrong, your still not getting your money back. Better start calling dealers. 6 weeks seems like a long time. I turn glass around in less then 5 business days, unless the manufacture is out of stock.

NewtownPA said:
I called the Avalon dealer close to me and they said it would take them 4 - 6 WEEKS for them to get the right glass! Is that normal?!

Is this a good place to order glass from online?
https://secure.onedayglass.com/ordernew.php

?

What did they quote you for a price at the dealer?

I agree with MountainStoveGuy to call a list of dealers to maybe find one in stock.

Roospike said:
NewtownPA said:
I called the Avalon dealer close to me and they said it would take them 4 - 6 WEEKS for them to get the right glass! Is that normal?!

?

I agree with MountainStoveGuy to call a list of dealers to maybe find one in stock.

The dealer said $140 plus 4 to 6 WEEKS delivery time! That's crazy!

Call local glass dealers and ask them if they stock Pyroceram. That is the ceramic glass you are looking for.

Roospike said:
NewtownPA said:

?

Shane you got the glass? How 'bout you Rod? Come on, lend a hand..... You know you want to make something here. ;-)

NewtownPA said:
Roospike said:
NewtownPA said:

?

The dealer said $140 plus 4 to 6 WEEKS delivery time! That's crazy!

the delivery time is crazy, but the price is not. You are going to be stuck buying the factory replacement because the glass isnt square. I would not waste any more time on your search unless you go to a local glass shop, bring your glass in, and let them use it for a template.

Webmaster said:
Call my old shop in Medford NJ - it's a little ride, but maybe they have it in stock or else maybe they can UPS it right out.

609-654-1384 (ask for Lynn and tell her Craig sent you)

Cool. I'll call tomorrow.

By the way, I was married in Medford, NJ! I know a bit about the place. I attended Fellowship Alliance Chapel on Church Rd. :) I lived in Delran, NJ.

NewtownPA said:
Webmaster said:
Call my old shop in Medford NJ - it's a little ride, but maybe they have it in stock or else maybe they can UPS it right out.

By the way, I was married in Medford, NJ! I know a bit about the place. I attended Fellowship Alliance Chapel on Church Rd. :) I lived in Delran, NJ.

Well, I guess I've got you both trumped. I lived in Wrightstown (5 miles north of NewtownPA) in the 1960s and MedfordNJ in the '70s! :)

DoubleClutch said:
NewtownPA said:
Webmaster said:

Well, I guess I've got you both trumped. I lived in Wrightstown (5 miles north of NewtownPA) in the 1960s and MedfordNJ in the '70s! :)

DoubleClutch,

Nice!!! My wife and I go to the "Grange Fair" in Wrightstown.

Since you lived around here, where did you get your firewood from?

Status
Not open for further replies.