glass cleaner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanko

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2008
livingstion co, Michigan
im sure this topic has been discussed many times, but as I have a new stove with glass in the front, what, the best stuff to use, can it be done when the stoves hot, or need to be cool. my owners manual just states to used approved products, OK so whats approved?

Hanko,
I myself have been using Hearth and Grill Conditioning Glass Cleaner with Silicone by Rutland. I read on another sight that the glass cleaners that seem to work the best contain the blue colored cream (this one does). In my opinion this one seems to work very well. Follow the instructions and after a minute of soaking in, I scrub it hard with a rag to get the tough stuff off. This brand leaves a silicone coating on the glass that makes the next cleaning a bit easier. I found no need to wait until the glass is cool or hot. Just watch those fingers if the glass is hot :bug:

cool, thanks. now i just have to figure out who has that stuff

I purchased some rutland glass cleaner that seems to work fairly well. I also tried mixing ash with water making a paste, that worked very well. I found that tip on this site. I'm not sure it's a approved cleaner but it works.I only bought the spray cause it was easier than mixing up the paste and my window was always dirty cause of green wood. Now that i have seasoned wood the cleaning sessions are few and far between. I would wait untill the window is fairly cool before cleaning. Good luck.

If you have an Ace Hardware around, check them out. They carry Rutland's line of products (better price too then the woodstove shop).

I just use a paper towel moisoned with a little bottled water like Poland spring or Nirvana ...never/ever tap water. The glass gets so clean it's like new...it doesn't even take a minute to do now that I do it daily.

This is done in the early morning before I reload the stove...the glass is still warm enough that I wear leather gloves. Had the stove about 20 days before I did it the 1st time. Why?... I dunno. It sure is sweet looking at the fire through that clean glass ...got to tell ya.

NEVER USE TAP WATER...the minerals in it will leave like a ghost white film on your glass.

cozy heat said:
What - 5 posts and no one said to dip wet newspaper in ashes and 'polish' the glass with the resulting goo? C'mon guys!

Cheap, easy, and it does work.

Check post 3..

I have the Rutland product, but find myself using the paper towels and ashes mostly. works great.

Hanko, My stove glass develops a whitish haze after four or five days that eventually gets annoying. I use a damp sponge and wipe dry with a paper towel. Once every two weeks when the glass is cool. Works great and cost virtually nothing.

Jim

cozy heat said:
What - 5 posts and no one said to dip wet newspaper in ashes and 'polish' the glass with the resulting goo? C'mon guys!

Cheap, easy, and it does work.

lol.. was just gonna say that.. i couldn't believe it when i was told to do it that way.. it does work and works well..

I use the rutland stuff too, got it at ace for 5 bucks, i imagine this bottle will last me a couple years. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.