Elfin Posted By Elfin, Sep 9, 2008 at 5:02 AM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elfin

Elfin
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 21, 2008
    We did our first burnoffs of the new PE Alderlea T5 this summer, and last week the morning temps were low enough that we actually got to use it! I am loving this stove! So much nicer than our old woodstove or pellet stove... the way this thing burns is amazing! It really holds the coals and the stove itselfs retains heat for such a good long time.

Anyway, on to my question... the user's manual says we should use fireplace glass cleaner... is this really necessary? I don't anticipate a lot of dirty glass, but don't want to invalidate my warranty by using a product I shouldn't. Typically I would probably just use vinegar or ammonia and water, but could this possibly be damaging and a bad idea?

2. R&D Guy

R&D Guy
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 25, 2007
    I've always just used Windex and newspaper to clean soot off of neoceram and tempered glass. Never noticed any issues.

3. karl

karl
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 9, 2007
    Loc:
    Huntington, West Virginia
    Take a wet paper towel and dip it in the ashes and rub he glass with it. Then take another wet paper towel and wipe it off.

This works great when you get smoke stains on the glass, better than any glass cleaner.

4. savageactor7

savageactor7
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 25, 2008
    Loc:
    CNY
    We use bottled water with a paper towel...I was told some tap water can leave a haze on the windows so be careful. If you do it regularly in the morning when the stove is the coolest it takes only a minute and you'll have showroom glass all day. btw it's best to use leather gloves when doing this.

5. cmonSTART

cmonSTART
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 29, 2007
    Loc:
    Antrim, NH
    Windex and paper towels work fine for me. Seems to get the stuff off pretty easily. If it happens to get really thick I use a razor blade to scrape it off after its wet.

6. colebrookman

colebrookman
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Middlefield, Ma
    I've used all of the above but usually come back to Rutland glass cleaner. A little goes a long ways wiped off with crumbled newspaper. Glass should be cold to use. Also a nice hot fire should keep the glass reasonably clean. No wet wood.
    Ed

7. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    I have tried most products out there and have found that ash works as good as any. But I use a terry cloth rag, which is naturally abrasive and stays that way.

8. Tfin

Tfin
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 24, 2007
    Loc:
    Central Maine
    Count me in with the windex and paper towel crew.

9. Henz

Henz
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 23, 2006
    Loc:
    Northville, NY
    I went to my local Ace Store and bought the soot glass cleaner. I think it was cheaper than windex even. Works well

10. jadm

jadm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 31, 2007
    Loc:
    colorado
    I'm of the razor blade crowd. No mess and cleans nicely.

11. Jfk4th

Jfk4th
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2007
    Loc:
    NY
    Sign me up for another vote for local Ace soot glass cleaner, works great.

Hey Adirondack, have snow up there yet :cheese: At least the black flies are gone, right?

12. Henz

Henz
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 23, 2006
    Loc:
    Northville, NY
    actually, last weeks warm weather brought the skeeters back. I would expect them to be gone this week as we are expecting a cold snap!

13. myzamboni

myzamboni
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 22, 2007
    Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    I do this, or use Simple Green.

14. hookspacken

hookspacken
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 8, 2006
    Loc:
    Troy, NY
    I use some damp newspaper dipped in wood ash , then I use a damp paper towel to shine her up. Works like a champ!

15. Elfin

Elfin
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 21, 2008
    Thanks, everybody... glad to know that there is no true necessity to use the special cleaners!

16. ScottF

ScottF
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Southern NH
    How about a way to clean the mica on an antique stove. It is extremely thin and fragile. Anyone ever heard of how to clean that?

17. savageactor7

savageactor7
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 25, 2008
    Loc:
    CNY
    We had mica or isenglass (sp) in our Franklin stove...just be careful and get a small block of wood to put a little counter pressure on the outside. Cleaning that is almost like performing heart surgery...I one broke a piece out of it and the stove burnt fine till I replaced it...just say'en.

18. bluefrier

bluefrier
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jul 3, 2008
    Loc:
    Maryland
    No cleaner can compare to #0000 steel wool.

19. Elfin

Elfin
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 21, 2008
    Oh, I'm a #0000 steel wool addict! It is great for cleaning glass and ceramic tile. Of course the user's manual for my stove says "no abrasives" -

20. Randyb

Randyb
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 27, 2008
    Loc:
    Lakes Region NH
    Tried a couple of the things mentioned here couldn't get it completely clean (didn't try the #0000 steel wool) ended up Mr Clean Magic Eraser dry got it spotless

21. TreeTrunk

TreeTrunk
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 9, 2008
    Loc:
    InteriorAlaska
    Burning the stove real hot every now and then seems to keep my glass clean.

22. fossil

fossil
    Accidental Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Prob'ly OK with #0000 steel wool pads, as reported here, although sometimes they come with a light oil in them to inhibit rust (they are, after all, steel). I use 'em for wood & metal cleaning/finishing, and like them very much. They're pretty gentle. Whatever you do, DON'T use a "Scotchbrite" pad, thinking that it's similar to the steel wool. I scratched the glass windshield of one of my cars some years ago using one of those evil things. :shut: On the other hand, I've used them to good effect cleaning up lightly rusted metal in preparation for paint. Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.