Glass Cleaner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdege

Nov 15, 2011
Dover, NH
What do you use to clean the glass on your stove? I have used just water and a paper towel but was wondering if anyone uses Windex?

Thoughts / Suggestions?

jdege said:
What do you use to clean the glass on your stove? I have used just water and a paper towel but was wondering if anyone uses Windex?

Thoughts / Suggestions?

NO WINDEX...!!!!

Ammonia could possibly etch the glass.

Like you, i now only use water and paper towels. Cleans off just as good as using some type of cleaner.

ghandy131 said:
Tip I picked up here: damp paper towel dipped in stove ash works wonders!

I do the same as above...then once in a while I will use a blue paste stuff my dealer gave me...it's like a car wax...not sure of the name..but it has on the front for gas stove glass panels...???...have to check the maker of it..

I've used windex for 15 years and it works fairly well. For more stubborn cleaning issues, I use a wood stove glass cleaner.

You can also use good old fashion oven cleaner in a pinch.

I'm just using cheap ammonia free glass cleaner. It seems to work ok for me so far.

wet paper towel directly on the glass when it's cool. Takes everything off with just the grit of the ash on the window. Works perfect.

I use a wet newspaper, dipped in ashes and then polish the glass with a dry newspaper. I've found that it'll clean anything that the stove can put on the glass, even creosote.

Dave

DneprDave said:
I use a wet newspaper, dipped in ashes and then polish the glass with a dry newspaper. I've found that it'll clean anything that the stove can put on the glass, even creosote.

Dave

Dam... I'll give the newspaper a try...my wife gets mad when I use the paper towels..I wipe it off at least 3-4 times a day..I like it clean..

Simple Green works great. Also, add a little ash for the stubborn marks and it looks like new.

Simple Green is also great for getting all the black soot off your hands after you clean the stove.

Cincinnati Kid said:
I've used windex for 15 years and it works fairly well. For more stubborn cleaning issues, I use a wood stove glass cleaner.

You can also use good old fashion oven cleaner in a pinch.
i use windex also no problems what so ever

images
'nuf said ;-P

From the Schott-Robax glass site. They make Poly Ceramic Stove glass.
http://www.schottrobax.com/index.php/cleaningcare

Cleaning / Care
General: Transparent glass ceramic for fireplaces and stoves should only be cleaned while the equipment is not in operation and have cooled down.
Clean: The best and still most cost-effective cleaning agent is the ash itself. To use:
Insert a moist rag or a piece of newspaper into the white ash of the cooled fireplace.
Rub it onto the window insert of the fireplace.
Then, simply wipe it off again with the moist rag and then polish it dry with a clean, soft towel.
In addition to the ash, there are a number of different commonly used commercial cleaning and care products or mildly acidic solutions available. Simply follow the instructions of the cleaning product as recommended by its manufacturer.
Note: For coated inserts, (glass cleaner is not recommended).
CAUTION: Under no circumstances should you use any abrasive (scouring) cleaning product or scratch pads.

Hope that helps,
---Nailer---

Salty said:
wet paper towel directly on the glass when it's cool. Takes everything off with just the grit of the ash on the window. Works perfect.

yep. that's all i've done every day since we got the stove.
and there really isn't much ash on the window after one day. so it's mostly just water doing the job.
i'm sure i could let it go longer. but i'm compulsive about it.
lol! not as much so as bigruckus though :)

i really don't have anything to compare by except reading about other stoves here. but the ps50 seems to not have it's class get dirty very fast at all.

bigruckus- our dollar store has a three pack of paper towels for $2 ;)

i use newspaper for windows and or mirrors. when and if i ever am required to do that task.
but i do like how i can fold up the paper towels (i use 2 ) and get 2 to 3 clean wet sides out of a usage.
it's just more manageable for me than i think newsprint would be.

i was using dry paper towels to dry at first. but they seem a little scratchy.
i find that if i don't get the towels too wet,(wet down the middle , not the edges)
i can actually dry the glass with a clean part of them at the end while gently blowing on the glass to evaporate the small streaks.

baby wipes, work great, hold together better then wet paper towels.

i have not had one towel come apart yet. i'll stick w/ plain water.

i'm beginning to think my glass really does stay a lot cleaner than many folks' though.
if it takes enough effort to shred a paper towel, then i believe this is the case.

This is in Manuel for enviro-
DOOR GLASS CLEANING (Weekly)
It is recommended that the door glass be cleaned weekly to keep creasote/soot levels to a minimum.
Cleaning of the glass must only be done when stove is cold. Open the door by lifting the handle. The glass
can be cleaned by wiping down the outside and inside of the glass with a dry soft cloth.
If the glass has build up that can not be removed with only the cloth, clean the glass using paper towel
and a gas appliance glass cleaner, this may be purchased through most dealers. If a gas appliance glass
cleaner is not available, use a damp paper towel dipped in fly ash to clean the glass. After the glass has
been cleaned use the dry soft cloth to wipe down the outside and inside of the glass.

bigruckus said:
jdege said:

Thoughts / Suggestions?

NO WINDEX...!!!!

Why not??

[quote author="bigruckus" .....I wipe it off at least 3-4 times a day..I like it clean..[/quote]

So, while the stove is running, you give the glass a dry wipe ?
Good idea---I'll try that each time I fill the hopper.

edit: I need more practice inserting quotes.

I saw the picture of cerama bryte, I use it on the glass stove top so logically why not the stove glass.

Thanks for all the great ideas. This site has been so valuable to get info and I don't make my wife crazy.

jmart said:
[quote author="bigruckus" .....I wipe it off at least 3-4 times a day..I like it clean..

So, while the stove is running, you give the glass a dry wipe ?
Good idea---I'll try that each time I fill the hopper.

edit: I need more practice inserting quotes.[/quote]

Hit the blue "quote" button under whomever you want to quote

Status
Not open for further replies.