Glass Cleaning Periodicity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisN

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2005
Southeastern, Ct
I often see discussions concerning effective ways to clean stove glass, here's my question: Will I encounter great difficulty if I only clean my glass, say once or twice a burning season? Will it still come clean without too much elbow grease? My stove is running 24/7 and hasn't dipped below 300 degrees since Oct. I get a nightly build-up of black when I set up my overnight burn, but the next day a hot fire turns the black to a white ash. I'm not inclined to cool the system down to clean glass, nor mess around cleaning 300 degree + surfaces. Any thoughts?

If burning it clean does the job, don't mess with success. My stove has a lot of glass and the airwash doesn't keep up, nor will a hot burn get the entire class surface clean. I've devised a shield to put in the door opening that allows the glass to cool and for me to clean it every few days.

I'll clean my glass which may not have more than a slight "haze" on it when I reload during a morning start-up . I empty the ash pan at the same time. I'll empty the ashpan usally every third day. The mornig in which there are the fewest amount of embers is when I'll wipe the glass with a damp paper towel. By pushing the embers to the rear of the firebox and keeping the glass doors open for a few minutes I'll makes sure the"glass" isn't too hot ( warm to the touch) to wipe with the towel. If the damp paper towel "hisses" then I don't bother, I'll wait till the next time. As far as ther being "black " on the glass, better check out how seasoned your wood is for the overnight burn. Best of luck in the New Year, burn well ,burn clean ,burn safe.

Frank Ivy said:
To answer your question about the end of season cleaning, I think you'll be fine. The worst case is that the buildup increases on top of the glass, but the molecular structure at the inside surface of the glass will not be changed by any buildup, and, consequently, the worst case scenario of a lot of buildup means a bit more elbow grease at the end of the year to get back to perfectly clear glass.

That's a theory, by the way, but I'm very comfortable with it.

I hope that is a good theory Frank. I have been thinking lately about cleaning my glass. Since it always dirtied the same two spots I quit bothering with it in 1991.

But Frank, since it is only a theory, aren't we federally mandated to provide access to an alternative explanation? After all, naive school children might come to believe that this "theory" of stove glass not changing its molecular structure is actually the truth! We might want to tell them that if the deity of their choice wanted stove glass to stay clean, he would have designed better stoves! And he would have designed them with Brainpower!

hee hee

Joshua

glass cleaning hint: clean the glass BEFORE you disturb the coals -- once the coals are raked around, it'll be too hot to get your hands close.

Status
Not open for further replies.