glass cleaning ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

powerstroke guy73

Dec 17, 2012
When my stove runs correctlly i like to have my glass clean. currentlly i have to clean it a minimun of 3 days per week. is this normal? i have had good results cleaning with weep paper towel. any help here on the glass would be nice. stove has new gaskets

Mine's always dirty. Lasts about 2-3 days before needing attention. Mind you, it's not the whole thing but just the right side and it's the fluffy gray stuff.

my Harman stays clean for weeks (maybe some slight discoloration in the corners), but my parent's Napoleon gets completely covered after a few days...depends on the stove, pellets, burn, etc.

every stove is different . idea : put your make/model in your sig . it will help anytime you inquire here :)

mine daily i shut down for 30 mins , clear my burn pot and quickly ,using a soft brush , wipe my glass . easy peasy .

I clean my glass every 2 days with 2 baby wipes. They work awesome.

Haven't cleaned mine all season... 30 + bags...... I'm not saying its clean. Just that I don't worry about it as much (I did, but that time has come and gone). Can't hardly see the fire!!!

Every day I get a light film i clean it with a dry cloth "glass hot" Vinegar and water every Saturday with cleaning.

We wash the viewing glass every day or two while we're in shut-down mode for a burn pot scrape-age.
It's a part of the pellet stove experience that turns it into a rewarding hobby ;)

Reactions: The Ds
Haven't cleaned mine all season... 30 + bags...... I'm not saying its clean. Just that I don't worry about it as much (I did, but that time has come and gone). Can't hardly see the fire!!!

I remember the days when there was no glass to worry about, just a big metal box with peek-a-boo shutters.

My harman dusts up the upper corners fast because of the crosslink disturbing the airfoil but the rest stays good for a very long time(half ton plus) The Bixby backup stove on corn can go a month, but my cheap pellets only a few days.

When my stove runs correctlly i like to have my glass clean. currentlly i have to clean it a minimun of 3 days per week. is this normal? i have had good results cleaning with weep paper towel. any help here on the glass would be nice. stove has new gaskets

Are you looking for a "holy crap look at that fire!" clean or a "yup, I'm pretty sure I can still see a fire in there" clean?

just being able to see fire works for me, unalble to do so at this time

Ok. who shuts their stove down to clean the glass and who does it running??

Reactions: jgrz0610
Every day I get a light film i clean it with a dry cloth "glass hot" Vinegar and water every Saturday with cleaning.

i've started using a dry soft cloth and doing it glass warm. it's a light fluffy type of accumulation. so i kind of buff it out a little with the soft dry cloth.
works amazingly well. and is a real time saver.
if i start getting little missed spots, i will use the wet paper towel scrub/dry cloth buff once a week or so.

the only thing i do as far as cleaning with the stove running, is brush the fly ash away from back edge of the burn pot where it accumulates.
i don't have to have my stove off long for the fly ash to cool enough for safe vacuuming. so i will pull the baffle plates first, then do the glass while its warm and then unplug/replug in the stove and let it go another blower cycle and then vacuum.
i kind of spread the ash around by poking it with the tip edge of the paint brush i use. to allow any thicker areas to cool and expose any of the rare small embers that sometimes persist in the firebox.

when i do use the wet paper towel, i make sure the glass isn't hot.
i try not to care about the glass. but i l still like seeing the fire.
i find myself watching the first burn after cleaning.
the nice bare metal of the burn pot. the empty clean fire box.
such a nice sight.

Reactions: DexterDay
Who shuts down their stove for "burn pot scrape-age" ??!!!

I go about a week before its dirty enough to annoy me. 2 weeks, the top half is pretty much solid black.

It's mostly the start up that gets it smokey and dirty. Using the ignitor from hi/lo/off a lot in these not-so-cold times wreaks havoc on cleanliness. If it ever gets cold this winter, it will stay cleaner longer as it won't ever venture into the off territory when the thermo goes form 70 to 63 at 10pm. Last night, i couldn't sleep, and the stove was off for about 4 hours. Finally kicked on again around 2am for a heat call from the thermo.

Geeze how times change. Where is the we use newspaper, water, and a little ash brigade.

present : P

have switched to a dry cloth except once a week or so when i'll use a wet paper towel to get every last smudge off.
just so long as people are aware to be careful what chemicals they use (don't use any imo) but especially ammonia.
it will penetrate the ceramic glass and cause irreversible clouding.

I clean the glass every other day. I get a 4-5 inch swath across the top. I vacuum the light stuff off, then dip a damp paper towel into the ash tray and use that to clean the stuborn stuff off the glass (That trick was in the stove manual and it works great)... I do this during the cleaning while stove is off...

Mine will go a ton easily with the fire being very visable. I only clean the glass when I am cleaning the whole stove. So every ton thru, I clean the glass.

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.