Q&A Glass Discoloring & Cloudiness (Coal Stove)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a Franco Belge Model 10-1375 Coal Stove. The front glass is made up of 25 pieces about 7 inches long and 3/4 inches wide. Over the course of a season I clean the glass quite often, but after a while it becomes discolored (reddish) and cloudy, even though the surface feels smooth and clean. I end up replacing the glass ($100.00 or more) every couple of seasons. I have tried many household cleaners including oven cleaner (couldn't find "Mr. Muscle" Brand) and tub & tile cleaners. It seems that the stain and cloudiness is not really on the outside of the glass, but becomes part of the glass itself.I tried replacing the glass once with a single solid piece of tempered glass, but it cracked after a short time. I did this because of the cost of the glass and I thought a single piece would be easier to clean.

Answer:

The glass used on these coal stoves is a pyrex type, which is cut into strips to allow for expansion and contraction. You are correct in that the discoloration is on the inside of the glass. It is caused by the sulfur, water vapor and other chemicals in the coal. I have also tried using a single piece of the higher temperature (ROBAX) glass, and this has not given good results. This ceramic glass developed crazing when subjected to the high temperatures and chemicals of the coal. So, you are best staying tithe the original equipment strips and replacing them every 3 or 4 years when the cloudiness gets too dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.