Q&A Glass Doors for arch fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I live in R.I. and have an arched brick fireplace. I don't have the dimensions handy- but it is a little oversized. My dilemma is this: local fireplace retailers are VERY expensive for antique brass and glass door systems- due to it being a custom shape/size. They say they'd have to come measure it w/ a template- then send an order out-of-state to have it custom-made. Being a big mail-order fan- I was just wondering if I could go that route on this??? Any suggestions you might have are greatly appreciated.

Answer:

In this case, the dealer may be right ! You can get arched doors- but they are $800 and up and have to be custom made....A template is also needed (you could make one)- but being this is a "custom" thing- the mail order might not work out ...that is you may not save much money. If the arch is slight- you might be able to buy a rectangular door to cover it. One company - Thermorite- makes square doors and then an arch top to cover the arch...around $600 total.

Link: Thermo-Rite Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.