Q&A Glass doors for Scandia stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a wood burning stove made by Franklin Cast Products, Inc., located in Warwick, Rhode Island. It is a Scandia model # 315, imported from Taiwan. What I am looking for is replacement doors. The original doors are solid cast iron, and I would like to be able to view the fire. I am also looking for a small swing door (approx. 3" x 3") that is missing from the back of the stove.

Answer:

It is very unlikely that you will be able to do this. The doors are usually fit and drilled to the specific stove at the factory, and another pair might not fit. Also, since it was not designed with the newer glass systems, it is unlikely that your glass would stay clean even if you were able to somehow get your doors machined, modified or replaced. These stoves were not noted for high quality, and it is likely that for what you would pay for the parts you would need, (assuming you could get them) it would be possible to purchase a new EPA II approved stove that would perform much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.