GLASS FIX CURES LONGSTANDING PROBLEM :-}

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigoakhunter

Oct 8, 2010
Mid-Michigan
I have an Englander 28-3500 wood furnace that I could never get to hold a fire for longer than 5 1/2 hours. I called company and asked on here for ideas. Used seasoned hardwood, orientated wood different ways etc. but no long burn times. So this was a stove on cold mornings that I would trudge to basement at 4am to keep fire going. When I installed stove there was a small crack in the glass that stayed there and never grew bigger for a winter. Then I replaced the glass with a piece of flat steel from local steel dealer. (duhhh). Burned the same for several winters. This fall I broke down and ordered the glass with gasket from Englander. Installed and what a difference! Increased my burn times, better draft control and don't have to open door to see what stove is doing or if it needs wood. WOW Loaded stove the other night at midnight got up at 7am ate breakfast and showered then thought about stove at 8am. You guessed it, still had cools. My apologies Englander for any bad thoughts over those last few winters. ;em

So waddaya suppose? Was it the fact that there was no gasket on the steel plate or was th fire getting ""burnt up" because it had no window to see what's going on outside the chamber?==c

So waddaya suppose? Was it the fact that there was no gasket on the steel plate or was th fire getting ""burnt up" because it had no window to see what's going on outside the chamber?==c
Not sure...I did gasket the steel with gasket material. The steel was not as thick as the rest of door or as the new glass is.

was th fire getting ""burnt up" because it had no window to see what's going on outside the chamber?==c

This is my vote! ::-)

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.