glass for hearth material?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

got wood?

Jan 4, 2006
Acton, MA
I'm having the room with my smaller stove (older lopi endeavor) fixed up with a new hardwood floor (replacing nasty old carpet). My wife and I have repainted, replaced windows, etc and the floor is the last on the list to consider this room `done'. Currently under the lopi is a metal plate with some red tiles and grout, rather old and beaten up. In keeping with the fresh, minimalist look we want (my wife is an interior decorator, mid-century modern is her thing) to ditch this relic and I thought it might be nice to put a thick piece of glass (so you could still see the new floor) under the lopi as the hearth.

Do any folks have a setup like this? I'm concerned about the thickness in terms of code but also durability (dropped logs, metal pokers, etc). What does the collective gray matter on this forum think of this approach? Any pics of similar setups?

I have seen glass hearths - assuming it is tempered glass - in pictures of European Stoves.

The R-Value of such a setup is negligible, so you have to have a stove that allows the minimum of hearth...which some do. If a 1/4" of ceramic tile would do the job, then 1/4" of glass would too.

Here is a Morso glass hearth....
http://tinyurl.com/69r6zs

It depends on the model of old Lopi, but I checked into it the other day, and the rep told me to use the same specs as the new Endeavor because the old manual didn't specify clearly if it needed any R value or not. The new Lopi is good to go with noncombustible of .018" or 26 gauge. Basically just ember protection

That's very nice Tom, did you use anything other than plain glass? I've wondered if you would need to use tempered or something

Status
Not open for further replies.