Glass imperfection / crack ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

telegirl

Sep 28, 2010
mass
Today while I was cleaning my St croix Prescott I noticed a funny mark in the glass which I never saw before. It is probly the size of an ice cream sprinkle in the glass. It almost looks like a tiny crack but both side of the glass are smooth so it is in the middle of the glass. Is it normal for stove glass to have small
Imperfections like this or is this more likely the beginning of a crack? Also seeing that it isn't cracked on the inside or outside we are running the stove, do you all think this is ok / safe? Thanks!

Can you post a picture of the "imperfection".

Where things get dicey is when the stove itself can apply enough force to make that into a crack.

Normal operation shouldn't do it, but it is possible for a stove to undergo what is known as a delayed ignition which can provide enough force to cause a crack to appear, or an existing crack to break.

Contact your dealer, do not procrastinate.

If it were my house the backup heating system would be on and the stove off until the situation was taken care of.

I just took pictures with my iPhone and camera, the area is so small it isn't visible even with the zoom at fullest. Ice cream sprinkle was probly too big for the description, maybe half a sprinkle....

btw this is telegirl, I had to make 2 accounts because I forgot my other username and password, but apparently I am logged into the forum on my iphone with the other name

Ok,

You are on your own about using the stove, get in touch with your dealer, and in the meantime if you chose to run the stove make sure you are there whenever the stove starts and you have a CO2 fire extinguisher handy to the stove.

Sounds like an air pocket or something in the glass. Without us seeing we cannot give our opinion. Glass tends to be a dicey issue because of the extreme temperature swings the stove undergoes. If you think it's cracked or cracking it's better not to use the stove. The risk is low but you don't want to be than 1 person out of a million to have something happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.