Glass just broke...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Souzafone

Feeling the Heat
Oct 12, 2007
Freetown, Massachusetts
On our last bag of pellets for this year, after having been off all day. Came home from work and turned the thermostat up, heard a sudden crack type noise,after the stove had been running for about 15 mins., and the glass has cracked diagonally all the way across. Has this happened to anyone here before? Do I need special glass from Harman or can I get it from a glass store?

WOW Souzafone - that's a bummer !! I'm not an expert, and I bet lots of experts here will jump in and answer your question, but I bet checking with the dealer for the glass is the way to go. A glass store may not have enough knowledge about glass with fire behind it. Just my thought :).

glass must be "pyroceramic" glass its1400 degre rated you need that type of glass , pyrex type glass is only rated to about 550 degrees and is not sufficient to the task , you can get at specialty glass shops but its expensive , call dealer for pricing it will likely be close to specialty shop cause it would not have to be cut to fit by dealer but would at shop. prepare yourself ahead though this stuff aint cheap !

The fact that it cracked in one line would lead me to believe that it was stressed in the frame and the change in temperature was enough to break the camel's back. This might be covered under warranty if there still is one. My stove dealer handles Harman and also custom cuts ceramic glass for just about anything in house. I seem to remember him saying it was about $70 to $100 to replace. Good luck!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.