Glass or Porcelien Lined Hot Water Heaters as Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ejhills

Jun 26, 2008
Central Maine
I've been looking for the answer/ opinion as to why using Electric/NG DHW heaters as a source of pressurized storage storage was a bad idea, but can find now specifics.

Does someone have an opinion/ experience?

Ed

Nothing wrong with glass lined electric WH tanks as storage vessels. They are made the same as blank HW storage tanks, same pressure listing, etc. Less expensive brands may not have the r-value as better foamed brands.

Often times the element holes can be used as additional (1") connection points. Geo installers use electric DHW tanks all the time for buffer/ storage. Some like the Marathon brand plastic, although temperature limits may apply to boiler applications.

Gas fired tanks are not as good for storage as they have a hole through the center. This encouraged chimney effect cooling as you can imagine.

Heat Transfer products and Boiler Buddy are a couple nice storage tanks with additional LARGE connections.

hr

Center Theatre TD said:
I've been looking for the answer/ opinion as to why using Electric/NG DHW heaters as a source of pressurized storage storage was a bad idea, but can find now specifics.

Does someone have an opinion/ experience?

Ed

They would work - the only problem I see and that they are small and you would need several. If they are free, then go for it but if you have to purchase them you may be better looking for another option. Many options out there so the hard part is deciding on which one is right for you.

I'll echo sdrobertson. The general consensus is that 500 gallons is the minimum amount of storage to be useful, and that 1000 gallons is a better target if possible.

Either way that's a lot of DHW tanks. If the price is right and you have the patience, go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.