Glass Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BB39

Jun 20, 2009
Georgia
I bought a Harman Stove Mark I coal stove back in the Spring. I installed the glass and frame in the door today. I noticed the rope seal goes arond the sides of the glass, but doesn't go completely across the top and bottom of the glass. Is there a reason for this? Maybe to accomodate any possible expansion of the glass when fired or maybe for airwash? Thanks for any answers.

The Harmon Mk 1 is one of the best stoves you can buy. It is super strong and well give you many years of happy service. The glass is really a ceramic and is only partly enclosed by the rope gasket. The reason for this is that provides the air wash to keep the viewing area somewhat clean. Mine is a super stove and does a real good job with wood. When it gets really cold try some coal, that's where this stove really shines. Hard or soft coal, it really doesn't mater, The stove was designed to burn hard coal best but does great with soft coal, just not as clean outside with some black smoke. This can be almost eliminated by giving it a little overfire air tell the coal gets to burning good. Enjoy.

Thanks for clearing that up Captain Hornet. I had a feeling it was made that way as part of an airwash system for the glass.

Put the glass rope on the top and the sides and leave the bottom open. Capt were do you buy grates??

Actually my stove is a Mk 2 but I think all the grates are the same. I have never needed a new one so I don't know where to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.