glass temp or stove top temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freddy

Jan 23, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Since I have an insert and not much of a stove top which would be the best place to measure? I have measured around 900 on the glass before and usually there is a 300 degree difference between the glass and stove give or take. I have had 2 broken/cracked baffles in 3 years and wonder if I'm over heating or if they aren't good quality.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Top temp.JPG
    Top temp.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 194
  • glass temp.JPG
    glass temp.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 200
I measure my glass with an IR thermometer also.
I have NEVER seen 900+ - I usually peak around 700 then settle and cruise between 650 and 450. (again this is IR measured on the glass)
I'm guessing that you're over-firing.
Try cutting back the air sooner and cutting it back more.

I don't trust readings off of glass. They seem inconsistent. But if it works well for you then go for it. It's all relative.

The other day I was reading in the same range, about 650 off the glass. Just for yucks I opened the door and read the heart of the fire. It pegged the needle (er LEDs) or over 1200 degrees. Stack probe reading was 525.

BeGreen said:
I don't trust readings off of glass. They seem inconsistent. But if it works well for you then go for it. It's all relative.

The other day I was reading in the same range, about 650 off the glass. Just for yucks I opened the door and read the heart of the fire. It pegged the needle (er LEDs) or over 1200 degrees. Stack probe reading was 525.

I agree that the glass temp has nothing to do with the all important flue gas temp - it's just my gauge for where I am in the burn - like you said: relative.
But - would you agree that 900 on the glass is way hot? I'd have to load up with my black oak on top of hot coals and leave the air wide open for a long time to get that.
Not gonna try....

Here is a temp at 899 with some doug fir after about 10 minutes. Primary air closed and secondary open. No other wood I use gets this hot, not even locust.

Attachments

• DSC00194.JPG
    DSC00194.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 161
Status
Not open for further replies.