Glass To Close Off Double Sided Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wfisherpdx

Feb 23, 2015
Texas
Hi All - About 9 months ago we bought a new home in a suburb of Dallas. The fireplace is double sided, with openings into the family room and office. I love the idea, but the execution is terrible. We want to start burning wood but the smoke spills from side to side, given the air drafts.

I understand that we should consider closing off one side to get the air drafting appropriately. This is fine as we only need to access the fireplace from one side, but we want to be able to continue to see the fire from both sides.

Is there a manufacturer of a glass panel that can be installed to close off one side? The other option I considered is buying glass doors and just keep them closed, but I can't find doors that are built to remain closed during burning. I'm afraid of breaking the glass.

The other option I thought about is to buy cast iron doors for one side, at least that way you get the benefit of heat on both sides.

Any thoughts? Where can I buy a glass panel that won't shatter from the heat and is built to be installed in this application? 2unnamed.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 303
Status
Not open for further replies.