Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loon

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2010
ont canada
after seeing zaps beauty woodstove pics, i got to thinking %-P

the house is 1700sqf but no basement so its very easy to heat with just a couple fans and the stove on low.

the problem is that the glass gets pretty gummed up and the only time the thing is off is when i do my month and a half chimney clean out...

what is the best way to clean it? newspaper and water?

thanks eh

loon

DSC08669.jpg

First of all, allow me to compliment you on your field stone background to the stove! Just Beautiful!!

Secondly, I use a newspaper, sometimes a shammy, .....doesn't really take much. When the brown stains come, (and they will) that are more stubborn than others, there's a product you can buy in your local grocery store called "Magic Eraser" that works really well.

-Soupy1957

thanks soupy :)

we dont have that kind of stone here so i ended up an hour away at my buddy's farm where i did some picken.

i sure didnt know what i was getting myself into? as never doing this kind of work before.. ended up it took over a week as i couldnt cement more than one row a day,and when i got halfway done i realized i better reinforce the floor ;-P that took another nite to finish.

but when finished i kinda surprised myself :cheese: but really wouldnt want to do it again %-P

DSC08683.jpg

DSC08686.jpg

and sorry for the jumbo pics as photobucket changed their format again and i cant figure it out???

loon

When I say "field stone," I'm referring to any stone that has been lugged from the yard (or someone else's yard or field) and used to make a wall. Sounds like we are talking about the same thing, ......just in different words.

Thanks for the additional pics.

-Soupy1957

[quote author="loon" date="1290364789"]thanks soupy :)

we dont have that kind of stone here so i ended up an hour away at my buddy's farm where i did some picken.

i sure didnt know what i was getting myself into? as never doing this kind of work before.. ended up it took over a week as i couldnt cement more than one row a day,and when i got halfway done i realized i better reinforce the floor ;-P that took another nite to finish.

but when finished i kinda surprised myself :cheese: but really wouldnt want to do it again %-P

Loon I like your setup plus some nice looking bucks you have.

zap

soupy1957 said:
When I say "field stone," I'm referring to any stone that has been lugged from the yard (or someone else's yard or field) and used to make a wall. Sounds like we are talking about the same thing, ......just in different words.

Thanks for the additional pics.

-Soupy1957

your welcome soupy.. what i was getting at was that my property here has about 6inch of dirt then this stuff %-P

DSC08688.jpg

takes all day just to plant a tree and the stuff i didnt think would look all that nice behind the stove..

thanks and yes rsg it is. its a sunken living room and when i installed the rock it was easier just to follow the contour ;-)

thanks zap and it doesnt take me alot of coaxing to put them up in pics :cheese:

DSC08695.jpg

loon

Loon, that is awesome. Congratulations to you....on the install and on the hunting. btw, I also hunt with crossbow now.

Cool hearth . . . there's something about real stone that just looks more natural than the cultured stuff.

As for the gunk . . . A couple options here . . . there are of course all kinds of cleaning solutions and ideas ranging from peeing on the glass (not sure I would try that) to commercially available solutions . . . me . . . I would go the cheap and easy route . . . take some damp newspaper, dip it in the ashes and scour . . . repeat as often as needed . . . clean with a damp newspaper followed by a dry newspaper . . . probably goes without saying, but you don't want to do this when the fire is raging.

Long term solutions to the problem will be making sure the wood is seasoned, burning at the proper temps (i.e. burning hotter -- but staying within the safe limits), not shutting down the air as much or not shutting it down too early and keeping splits from rolling up against the glass as these can all cause the blacking. If you get just a bit of black on the glass sometimes you can easily "burn" it off without scouring by just getting the stove up to temp.

Adios Pantalones said:
A hot fire with dry wood will not gum up the window, and will give you more heat with a cleaner chimney. Real dry wood does take some planning!

Nice setup you have there- looks really cozy

thanks eh!!

Tell ya the truth i have never been one to worry about the look of the glass but my wife wanted it clean for Thanksgiving and when Christmas dinner comes around, as we have her family over and 'well' i am just doing what i am told :bug: plus its right in the middle of hunting season and i aint home much at all :p

heading back up to the camp in a few days for a week of muzzle loader :) :cheese:

loon

Status
Not open for further replies.