Glazing inside stove from not burning hot enough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
I had my chimney sweeped today. I wanted to be here for it so I could do it myself next year but this year it just wasn't possible.

Anyway, I came home to a note from the guy saying I had a light glazing on the inside of the stove of creosote from not burining the stove hot enough.

Now I burned this stove so hot at times last year that I burned the paint off of the elbow connecting to the thimble! However, 75% of the time I kept it at just coals to prolong the burn time but also to prevent us from being roasted out.

So when he said "glazing" what does that mean? Also, is there an optimal temp. I should be burning at?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Is it possible that the glaze was left over from cooler end of season burning in late winter? If so I wouldn't worry about it.

BeGreen said:
Is it possible that the glaze was left over from cooler end of season burning in late winter? If so I wouldn't worry about it.

How would I know the difference though? I mean can I look for something in specific?

I never noticed any blackening or anything on the inside of the stove.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Den said:
Are you burning with the cat in your 2n1?
Maybe most of your heat is coming from the cat while the firebox remains relatively cool.

I am not using my cat yet. I will this year but last year I did it without to get the low end of the efficiency spectrum if that makes sense.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Who would actually care anyway? Creosote inside the stove won't be anything but fuel once it gets hot again. What did the chimney look like?

I have noticed that on occasion my Atlanta stove would have a glaze on part of the interior. Mostly the back corners. But, it comes and goes. Probably depends on how hot I run it. Don't get anything but soot in the stove pipe and chimney.

The Encore had interior brown creosote when I got it. One hot little fire and that stuff is gone.

24-48 hours of ~600 degree burning with SEASONED wood and my glass is relatively clean and my stove looks good - light, fluffy ash.

When in doubt....burn better wood :)

emt1581 said:
Den said:
Maybe most of your heat is coming from the cat while the firebox remains relatively cool.

I am not using my cat yet. I will this year but last year I did it without to get the low end of the efficiency spectrum if that makes sense.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Can you add your stove to your signature?

emt1581 said:
I had my chimney sweeped today. I wanted to be here for it so I could do it myself next year but this year it just wasn't possible.

Anyway, I came home to a note from the guy saying I had a light glazing on the inside of the stove of creosote from not burining the stove hot enough.

Now I burned this stove so hot at times last year that I burned the paint off of the elbow connecting to the thimble! However, 75% of the time I kept it at just coals to prolong the burn time but also to prevent us from being roasted out.

So when he said "glazing" what does that mean? Also, is there an optimal temp. I should be burning at?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Did creosote build up in your liner?

BeGreen said:
emt1581 said:
Den said:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Can you add your stove to your signature?

There ya go. :)

-Emt1581

emt1581 said:
Den said:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Emt, by not using the cat that stove simply did not operate as it should have. The stove was meant to run with the cat and the cat is meant to run with good dry wood.

As a good example, several times in spring or fall we may have a fire or two and not engage the cat. When we do, we do notice some black. However we are talking about just a fire or two but running it that way all winter..... well, it is just unimaginable to us. Also, I would predict that we would have to burn more than twice the amount of wood we now burn if we did not use the cat. In addition, we would be cleaning the chimney a lot. As it is, we've burned this stove for 4 winters now and cleaned our chimney once....for about a cup of soot. No creosote at all.

So I highly advise that you start using the cat. Read the manual so you know the best way. For example, we let our stove top reach 250 degrees before engaging the cat or on reloads, we wait 10-15 minutes before engaging the cat. Very simple and one quickly creates a good habit.

Backwoods Savage said:
emt1581 said:
Den said:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Emt, by not using the cat that stove simply did not operate as it should have. The stove was meant to run with the cat and the cat is meant to run with good dry wood.

As a good example, several times in spring or fall we may have a fire or two and not engage the cat. When we do, we do notice some black. However we are talking about just a fire or two but running it that way all winter..... well, it is just unimaginable to us. Also, I would predict that we would have to burn more than twice the amount of wood we now burn if we did not use the cat. In addition, we would be cleaning the chimney a lot. As it is, we've burned this stove for 4 winters now and cleaned our chimney once....for about a cup of soot. No creosote at all.

So I highly advise that you start using the cat. Read the manual so you know the best way. For example, we let our stove top reach 250 degrees before engaging the cat or on reloads, we wait 10-15 minutes before engaging the cat. Very simple and one quickly creates a good habit.

Incorrect. The owner has a 2-in1 stove that allows for Everburn or Cat burning.

Thanks. I learned something new today so it has not been a waste!

Status
Not open for further replies.